Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have post concussion syndrome. I was in a car accident…

Customer Question
I have post concussion...

I have post concussion syndrome. I was in a car accident back in March. Oddly enough, I came out of the wreck pretty much unscratched. No bleeding, except a broken finger nail from the air bag. I didn't feel pain. At first that is. I went to the hospital to get checked out and they did a catscan on me. Sent me home saying I had a concussion but that I vould work again in 2 days. So, I went to work, but about 2 weeks later I had to quit my job. I couldn't function at all, even when they gave me simpler tasks such as counting change. I was unable to process how to count the change back to customers, even though our registers calculate for us. I was embarrassed having to ask a supervisor for help, but they were kind enough to lend a helping hand. I was unable to drive because of dizziness and I also have PTSD from the accident, which surprises me, because the day it happened I thought I felt fine. I guess I was in shock. I had different tests done such as EG, MRI, Catscan, and even a memory test, which I failed. They told me I will need psychotherapy. For a while I thought I was getting better, but now it feels like I am getting worse. I've noticed mood swings, depression, anger outbursts. I do have a history of anger and depression but this time it just seems much worse. I was fine and without symptoms for years. I notice I don't understand people sometimes, like if someone tells me something I often find myself asking them to repeat because it sounds like they talk backwards. I forget things easily. For example my mother will tell me to get something out of the refrigerator, and not even a minute later I'll forget what it was she asked for. I also noticed my brain playing tricks on me, or so it seems. Which was a more recent symptom I never noticed before. I would look in a mirror and my face would appear uneven all of a sudden. My face is pretty normal actually, and not uneven, but when I looked at myself in mirror it was as if my brain was distorting the image. Recently I've been feeling more stressed out in general, and got in an argument with someone. No physical altercation occured, but I noticed a pulsing sensation in my head I have never felt in my life. It didn't hurt but it made me super dizzy. I do have vertigo, so maybe it was that? I just never had that pulsing feeling before, and I am worried my post concussion syndrome is getting worse.

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been feeling this way? Have you reached out to anyone about this yet?

Last time I saw my neurologist was in August. He subscribed me some over the counter vitamins such as Magnesium and B12, Q10 I think one was called and a sleeping pill for my insomnia. Other than that he just told me to see a psychotherapist about my memory and stuff, but i haven't been able to go yet because my family and i have been so busy helping my brother and his fiance with their wedding which is this month.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I've been diagnosed with OCD, Depression as I've already mentioned, and Anxiety. I stopped medication about 10 years ago. Maybe even more, and have been free of symptoms and able to control it. Until recently I noticed stress and depression coming back, also a lot of feelings of confusion, which my neurologist told me is probably from the concussion.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Medical
9/16/2017
Doctor: Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor replied 8 months ago
Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor

Hi, this is Dr Phil, here to assist you. I am Board Certified with over 10 years of experience. I will respond with my answer shortly. Thank you.

you have severe PCS. Did anyone tell you to rest your brain after the concussion?

low light?

no computer or TV?

low stimulus environments? etc?

Thank you.
They gave me a piece of paper just telling me to limit physical activity. I don't remember much too be honest, but I think I did rest after.

ok. people with a history of depression/anxiety will generally be much more susceptible after concussion

It should get better over time

are you being treated for this now?

I am seeing a psychotherapist for some of the symptoms now. I read that concussions usually only last 3 months. Mine has been much longer, and my neurologist even told me sometimes symptoms never go away.
He said it would probably take up to a year for mine to get better. Is that true and should stay on disability for now or would working part time be safe? right now I don't even know if I can function in a work setting.
But sometimes I think that my depression has to do with the fact that I have become so limited in my capabilities.
Family Physician, Doctor