Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I am to prepare for a colonoscopy tomorrow night, I an to…

Customer Question
I am to prepare...

I am to prepare for a colonoscopy tomorrow night, I an to take 2 PicoPreps. However I have read on the packet that I should consult a doctor before as I have impaired kidneys they are reading around 35.

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

I have a new doctor who is aware of my kidneys and gave me a referral but said nothing about this. I am on Exforge for diabetes.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I take blood pressure tablets. Alapouarinal for gout, thyroid tablets and Gliclazide MR for diabetes.

Doctor's Assistant: Is this consistent, or is there some fluctuation in blood pressure?

No blood presure is consistent and OK

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Medical
9/16/2017
Doctor: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor replied 11 months ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. Actually you are correct Picoprep use in patients with kidney failure is not recommended HOWEVER that is true for those patients who have advanced kidney failure who have decreased or absent production of urine. This is because of the presence of potassium in the mixture which can cause your bodys potassium level to rise. If however you are adequately producing urine and dont need dialysis, then using picoprep is not likely to cause any problems in your case regardless of the GFR being at 35.

I think that is why your doctor did not mention anything about not using picoprep because he is aware of your kidneys and the fact that they are able to handle the slightly increased potassium that will have to filter.

So in your situation, IF YOU ARE PRODUCING ADEQUATE amounts of urine, then you can safely use picoprep as indicated by your doctor.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/