Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My husband just been diagnosed with temporal arteritis. I…

Customer Question
My husband just been...

My husband just been diagnosed with temporal arteritis. I took him to the emergency department as he was experiencing intense agonising pain in his head, raditating into his neck, shoulders back and throat. He spent one night in hospital whilst they ran some tests. he needs to return for a biopsy to confirm diagnosis. He has been given short course of steroids in the interim.

Doctor's Assistant: Have you had any recent injuries? What seems to make the pain better or worse?

He also takes something for oesophageal reflux and he has, for a very long time now been alcohol dependent. Also for a long time - his appetite has been poor and he tends to pick at his food, not enjoying it. I have been telling him for a long time that something would have to give and his body could not sustain this abuse.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

He has a highly stressful job, and because of his stress he can take it out on his family. In my mind he tends to be quite caustic and impatient and intolerant - or drunk.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Medical
9/16/2017
Doctor: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor replied 11 months ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. Im sorry to hear about your husband's diagnosis. Actually you husband was treated correctly with steroids which are the first line in management of temporal arteritis. Infact if steroids are not used the chances of temporal arteritis causing blindness are very high. They did the right thing and calling you back for a biopsy is also the right thing to do as that will them whether or not your husband needs steroids for the long terms. Steroids are the first line of therapy in management of this condition and are by far the best form of treatment for this condition as well. Most patients will require a prolonged course to control the symptoms. I would recommend that he should continue to use the steroids despite his reflux, which can be managed by increasing the dose of his medications e.g if he is on 10 mg of omeprazole then it can be increased to 20 mg, if it is 20 mg prilosec then it can be increased to 40 mg and so on.

Lastly, do you have any specific questions about his condition if so do let me know and i would be happy to answer them for you.