Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I'm on malorone and have been for nine days while in Kenya.

Customer Question
Hello. I'm on malorone...

Hello. I'm on malorone and have been for nine days while in Kenya. I have so been having unusy vaginal bleeding the last four days. I'm still on my birth control and not due for a period. Could this be due to the malarone and if so how do I stop it?

Doctor's Assistant: Have you been keeping a personal medical record?

Yes

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I'm on birth control and fluoxetine.

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Medical
9/16/2017
Doctor: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor replied 9 months ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. Actually malorone contains two drugs and they do have a rare side effect of causing the platelet count to drop to levels low enough which can lead to bleeding of this sort. Infact it can lead to bleeding from the nose, mouth or eve in the stool, or you could develop a petechial rash on the body or easy bruisability and if you have any of these signs then you should immediately have this evaluated by visiting a local doctor and getting a CBC done. Now this would be true if the vaginal bleeding is significant and persistent, if you are however spotting then that can be due to a number of other conditions including a hormonal imbalance or even due to a local infection in teh female reproductive tract. A urinary tract infection can also sometimes present with simple bleeding via the vagina rather than the common symptoms of burning, increased frequency etc. If there is spotting rather than bleeding like that of a period then i would consider these other conditions more than malorone being the cause. In that situation a pelvic examination, hormonal test as well as urine analysis would be helpful.

If the bleeding is NOT severe then you can wait for another 24 hours to see if it subsides on its own and if it does not then it is important to get the tests done at a local hospital or clinic, these are faily simple tests which do not require any special equipment and can be done in kenya as well. If this is due to malorone then it would have to be stopped but that will leave you exposed to malaria , that is why it is important to get this checked first before stopping malorone.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Would you like to know anything else? Any clarifications or additional questions that you might have, i would be happy to answer them for you. If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating.