Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

7 months ago I woke up with pain between my shoulder blades…

Customer Question
7 months ago I...

7 months ago I woke up with pain between my shoulder blades and pain in my biceps. It felt as if I had worked out too hard the day before (I hadn't). It has been constant all day, every day since. I've tried a chiropractor, massage therapy - no help. My doctor did x-rays of my neck and a blood test to look for muscle weakness (I think?) - anyway, everything comes up normal. Now I have pain when I press in some of my joints. What could this be?

Doctor's Assistant: Is this a time sensitive issue? What type of specimen are they testing?

I'm not sure I understand your question.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I'm hypothyroid but otherwise a perfectly healthy 57-year-old woman with a good BMI

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Medical
9/16/2017
Doctor: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor replied 8 months ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. Now from what you are describing there are a number of conditions which can cause this sort of problem. The first one which comes to mind is that you could have developed an autoimmune condition which is affecting the joints and the muscles. This can cause muscle weakness, pain as well as arthritis in the joints. A single blood test would usually not rule out this problem and you would need extensive testing with the help of a complete autoimmune panel, ENA profile, ANA , ESR among iothers. If necessary a muscle biopsy can be done if there are elevated muscle enzymes like CPK, LDH and aldolase. An EMg can also be considered.

Another cause can be compression of the nerves in the area which are a common cause of this sort of pain, a simple xray would be insuffincient to rule this out as a cause. This would need to be diagnosed with the help of a MRI of the region as well as with the help of a NCS test to look directly at the nerve.

Another common cause of this could be associated with fibromyalgia which is a condition in which various muscle of the body are affected. This would be diagnosed after the other conditions are ruled out and then would be treated with various medications including SSRIs.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Would you like to know anything else? Any clarifications or additional questions that you might have, i would be happy to answer them for you. If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating.

Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor