Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I just moved to WI and my feet have been swelling everyday…

Customer Question
I just moved to...

I just moved to WI and my feet have been swelling everyday for a week. I've tried to drink more water but that doesn't seem to be working. Any idea what could be causing it?

Doctor's Assistant: Any recent injuries? How long have you been dealing with the swelling?

No injuries other than I've been on my feet for a few weeks trying to get things moved and unpacked. I've been walking on garage cement floors and hardwood floors and by the end of day my feet are killing me and the swelling is the minute I get up until I go to bed.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I am about 80#s overweight but no other issues.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Medical
9/15/2017
Doctor: Dr. Mo, Board Certified MD replied 11 months ago
Dr. Mo
Dr. Mo, Board Certified MD
Are you having any difficulty breathing or chest pains?
no
If you aren't having those symptoms then the water retention in the legs/feet could be due to excess water or salt intake. You mentioned you have been drinking more water but that often makes water retention worse. Salt and some vitamins or herbs as well as heat are also common culprits.
The good news is that it often will resolve on its own. You could try to wear compression stockings or elevate her feet a little bit more.
Doctor: Dr. Mo, Board Certified MD replied 10 months ago

Please click on "Rating" when ready.