Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Just reading having a rough flare up of ins No vomiting

Customer Question
Just reading having a...

Just reading having a rough flare up of ins No vomiting nausea or fever just pains for a week lower left side and gas

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?

A movement or passing gas.off and on for a week.Have had ins 20 years. Drink a lot alchohol but have stopped.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I have anxiety depression amd gerd

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Medical
9/15/2017
Doctor: Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor replied 11 months ago

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer, or further information request.

Do you have flare of Crohn's or ulcerative colitis?

What is your age and gender?

41 male.
Just ins.
Been to the Dr for it. Was on antidepressants that helped but have been off. Just over the last week or so. More gas and not a lot of movements. Took a laxative today. Pain comes in waves lower left abdomen and a little left side of back. Doesn't hurt urinating
Sorry.. ibs

Thanks for the additional information. I am writing the answer for you and will get back to you in 4-5 minutes. If you get a phone call request, you may ignore it as that is an automated site trigger. Thank you.

There are many proposed causes of IBS and a precipitation from the mood disorders and an allergic factor can be considered in many cause. Following are newer research proposal for the causative of IBS (which may be relevant in your case);

1) Neurohumoral or neuroimmune stress responses

2) Carbohydrate malabsorption (such as lactose or fructose intolerance)

A trial to the IBS treatment should be given to see the therapeutic response, as follows;

1) Dietary modification; you would be the best judge to choose the best suitable diet for you.

2) Antispasmodics agents (hyoscine, cimetropium, pinaverium, and peppermint oil)

3) Lubiprostone

4) Linaclotide

This should hopefully abate your symptoms.

A recommended diet resource for IBS;

http://www.webmd.com/ibs/controlling-irritable-bowel-syndrome-with-diet

Diet resource for the elimination of the diet when there are food allergies;

http://global.oup.com/us/companion.websites/9780195371109/pdf/00_Mullin_Appendix_3.pdf

Diet resource for what to eat and avoid:

http://www.ibsdiets.org/fodmap-diet/fodmap-food-list/

Following investigations may be considered (if not done);

1) The complete blood count (CBC); altered in irritable bowel disease (in whom leukocytosis / high WBC count is the more frequent result).

2) Protein electrophoresis pattern may show alterations of both albumin and globulins (especially alpha-1 and gamma globulins) in IBS.

3) Thyroid function tests.

4) A barium meal is a helpful study in the diagnosis of intestinal motility disorders.

5) Computed tomography (CT) and nuclear magnetic resonance examinations are also necessary.

6) Defecography

7) Scintigraphic study of the small bowel or colonic transit time is currently most preferred investigation for your symptoms. It shows the intestinal progression of the meal.

The other reasons for excessive intestinal gas formation can be;

1) excessive air swallowing.

Anxious people swallow air when they are stressed or anxiety supervenes.

2) increased intraluminal (inside the intestine) production from mal absorbed (improperly absorbed) nutrients,

3) decreased gas absorption due to some pathological condition of intestines like diverticulitis

4) expansion of intestinal gas due to changes in atmospheric pressure

A solitary reason or combination can be responsible for the excessive gas.

Following may help you;

1) Avoid

a) Cabbage

b) Beer

c) Legumes

d) Cheese

e) Beans

2) This may help;

a) Bismuth subsalicylate

b) Activated charcoal

c) Simethicone; (Maalox, Mylanta); Simethicone causes gas bubbles to break up.

d) Beano; contains an enzyme (alpha-galactosidase), which helps to breakdown certain complex carbohydrates.

All are available without prescription.

Discontinue the following if you do them;

1) gum chewing,

2) smoking,

3) drinking carbonated beverages, and

4) gulping food and liquids.

Was this information helpful to you? I would be glad to answer any further questions.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please consider a positive 5 star rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

The rating button is on the left upper side of this thread.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl

Thank you. I also use a clap. Could swallowing air at night also be bothering my stomach . I sleep fine. Don't wake up with pains nor diahria. Starts in the morning. Don't notice when I'm active.

You are very welcome.

Majority of the people do not swallow much air during sleeping. Air swallowing is maximum during eating food, drinking or talking. It does not bother you much when you are active is indicative of stress and anxiety. So when are alone or idle, you feel it more. Yoga, meditation, group sporting exercises, relaxation techniques should help you.

It is privilege assisting you.

One last question and that's all.. And thank you very much.
Are these comment complaints from people with ins. I haven't had a flare up in probably 2 months.
But again. No fever. No nausea or vomiting.

You are most welcome.

Yes these are common symptoms with people with IBS.

It is privilege assisting you.

A positive rating would be appreciated for my time with you.

Just Answer is based on honor system. Experts are paid for time and expertise only when a positive rating is received.

Best wishes,

It was my pleasure to help you.
If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).
Please bookmark my profile for fast, reliable authentic answers!
This is the link to my profile:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-drarunphophalia/