Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have had my gallbladder removed because i had gallstones…

Customer Question
I have had my...

I have had my gallbladder removed because i had gallstones now i have symstems as if i have them again is it possible that they can accur again without a gallbladder

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

Yes i have i was in hospital yesterday for nine hours and they gave me blood tests ecg medication to help with the pain but it eased it for awile but iits back but worse i now havepains down my back and in the middle of my chest and down both arms they checked my heart and they said my heart was ok

Doctor's Assistant: Have you ever dealt with this before? Are you having any shortness of breath?

The pain yes when i had gallstones buti dont have shortness of breath but when i breath i my chest and back hurt,and the pain moves from one side of my chest to the other

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Medical
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/15/2017
Doctor: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor replied 11 months ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Welcome to Ja and thanks for this question. I'm sorry to hear about your symptoms. Actually the pain which is similar to gallstones or gallbladder issue, can occur even after removal of gallbladder. This occurs in a condition known as post cholecystectomy syndrome. This can cause pain in the same region as well diarrhea or bloating in many cases. This would be diagnosed on a clinical examination.
However in your case the pain in the chest and the arms can be also due to a number of other conditions. The first one which comes to mind is that you could have acute costochondritis which is a condition in which there is inflammation of the cartilage of the joints. This would be diagnosed with the help of a simple clinical examination and treated with anti inflammatory medications.
Another cause of this could be associated with the nerves in the chest or even compression of nerves in the neck. This would be diagnosed with a mri of the neck and also with a clinical examination of the chest to rule out intercostal nerve compression. This would be treated with steroid injections and even with medications like Lyrica or neurontin.
The pain which worsens on breathing could also be associated with inflammation of the pleura which is known as pleuritis. This can be due to a viral infection etc and usually can be diagnosed on a simple clinical examination and also a chest xray. The treatment can be with steroid therapy.
I would suggest that you try drinking more water, using electrolyte rich fluids like Gatorade or pedialyte along with anti inflammatory medications like ibuprofen and if thatdoes not work then see your doctor for further workup.
Do you have anymore questions?
Please remember to leave a positive rating as that is how we are compensated for helping you today