Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

BEEN OUT OF HOSP. FOR 25 DAYS! HAVE LINGERING PAIN, ON LEFT…

Customer Question
BEEN OUT OF HOSP...

BEEN OUT OF HOSP. FOR 25 DAYS! HAVE LINGERING PAIN

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?

ON LEFT SIDE FROM BACK TO FRONT! SUSPECT INFECTION

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

OR STRAINED SOMETHING! HAVE CYSTS IN KIDNEYS. AM 82 YRS OLD. ADV! TKS!

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Medical
9/15/2017
Doctor: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor replied 11 months ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Welcome to Ja and thanks for this question. I'm sorry to hear about your symptoms. I just came online to see that you had been waiting for some time so ill quickly answer this question for you. Actually there are a few conditions which can cause pain in the left side of the abdomen as well as the back. The first one as you rightly suspected can be relate d to the kidneys, this pain can be due to renal stones which could have developed after you were discharged but the more elikely possibility is that of an infection in the kidneys. It would be diagnosed with the help of simple urine analysis, urine cultures and also an abdominal ultrasound if need be. The treatment can be with antibiotics.
The other possibility is that of a severe muscle spasm which is usually due to dehydration or even due to electrolyte imbalances. If this is the case then simply using an increased amount of water along with electrolyte rich fluids would be helpful. At the same time would advise using otc capsaicin gel along with otc anti inflammatory medications like ibuprofen at a dose of 600 mg thrice daily. If that does not help then you will need muscle relaxants like flexeril or tinazidine. Additionally in that scenario a xray of the lower back and a mri would also be needed to see if the pain is arising due to compression of nerves in the back.
Now I would suggest that you try the above measures and see if that helps and if it doesn't or if you have symptoms like burning, frequency etc then you should contact your doctor asap.
Do you have anymore questions?
Please remember to leave a positive rating as that is how we are compensated for helping you today