Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My husband has a sore spot on both side of his buttocks. How…

Customer Question
My husband has a...

My husband has a sore spot on both side of his buttocks. How should we treat that?

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?

For about a week-treating it with aquaphor. Relieves it but still has the spots & pain.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

He is being treated for lung cancer - just completed 10 days of radiation one week ago.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Medical
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/15/2017
Doctor: Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor replied 8 months ago

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer, or further information request.

Is it tender (pain on pressing the area)?

How severe is it?

Were any x-rays done?

Is there pain on walking too?

it is tender. Not too severe but don't want it to get worst. No x-rays. No pain when walking.

This is very likelihood to be myofascial trigger point. Myofascial trigger point is a hyperirritable spot, usually within a taut band of skeletal muscle or in the muscle fascia which is painful on compression. The treatment is following;

1) passive stretching of the affected muscle after application of aquaphor.

2) physical therapy

3) deep electrotherapy; iontophoresis, phonophoresis, short wave diathermy, electrical stimulation (done at physical therapy center).

4) local analgesic patch / ointment / spray; Lidocaine cream is available without prescription.

5) anti-inflammatory analgesics; Ibuprofen (Motrin / Advil)

6) ischemic compression therapy; pressure on the points

7) massage

8) steroid shots

9) acupuncture.

10) Heating pad.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Just Answer is based on honor system. Experts are paid for time and expertise only when a positive rating is received.

Was this information helpful to you? I would be glad to answer any further questions.

Best wishes,

It was my pleasure to help you.
If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).
Please bookmark my profile for fast, reliable authentic answers!
This is the link to my profile:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-drarunphophalia/

Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor