Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have had toxic shock from a tampon before. I never

Customer Question
I have had toxic...

I have had toxic shock from a tampon before. I never developed a rash, just peeling hands about 12 hours before symptoms set in. I currently have an infected piercing that I haven't been able to get the infection under control at home. And now my hands are peeling and I think it may be toxic shock again. I'm wondering if I should go to the ER or wait and see if I develop other symptoms. Last time, my hands peeled at night, and I woke up with a sore throat and was in the ICU less than a few hours after waking up. So I'm nervous. The ER is for emergencies and I don't want to waste their time if I go in for peeling hands and it turns out to be nothing.

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you had the symptoms? Do you have a fever?

My piercing has been infected for several weeks, has an abscess on it that I have been trying to treat at home. I have no other symptoms besides that, and peeling hands.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Other than a few surgeries in 2011,2013,2015 and 2014 for ovarian cysts nothing else!

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Medical
9/15/2017
Doctor: Dr. Bob, Medical Doctor replied 8 months ago
Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Medical Doctor

Hi there. If this is how your toxic shock started last time, and you currently have an abscess on your ear, it would be best to get on some antibiotics that cover strep and staph. The ER docs will understand this. Any infection can quickly worsen and even get into the bloodstream if not treated properly and promptly.

Are they able to test for it in the ER? I was debating waiting and seeing my primary tomorrow but I know her lab results would take much longer.

They can test your white count to see if it is elevated. They can drain the abscess and put you on antibiotics while awaiting culture results. Your primary can also get you on antibiotics while awaiting the results of any tests. I would say the sooner the better, however, given your history. Urgent care might be a happy medium. They can do all of this as well.

Hello. Were you able to be seen in urgent care or the ER? How is the infection doing today?

Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Medical Doctor