Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS MS. Post doctoral fellowship in Sports Medicine. General surgeon and sports medicine specialist
5625079

Male, 72. Type II diabetes, hypertension. 3 years ago, my

Customer Question

Male, 72. Type II diabetes, hypertension. 3 years ago, my psa was 2.2. Year before last, 2.8. Last year 3.8. About time for another psa test. Feel great. No pain, etc. Kind of concerned. Anything to "panic" about and if it is cancer, can it be treated?
JA: Are you keeping a personal medical record while dealing with this?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 1 month ago.

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer, or further information request.

Let me at the outset tell you that these readings of PSA for your age group are normal and not worrisome at all. This does not denote cancer prostate.

Following are some facts about the PSA;

1) PSA can rise because of the following;

a) Benign prostate hyperplasia

b) Prostatitis

c) Cancer prostate

d) Any stimulation of prostate like sex, instrumentation, catheterization.

2) PSA is a poor screening method for the cancer prostate so it has false positive as well as false negative results for the screening of cancer prostate. This means that there are some patients with the cancer prostate who don't have raised PSA and there are patient who have raised PSA, with no cancer.

For exceptionally rare circumstance of it being cancer, I can assure you that it is treatable. There is a saying for prostate cancer; it never kills, people have absolutely normal life span.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Expert:  dianne-cssm replied 1 month ago.
We received your customer service inquiry, however, we are unable to respond to you because we do not have your email address. Please contact customer support at***@******.*** and provide us with your email address and a link to this question page so that we can help you.
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/aodoh-male-72-type-ii-diabetes-hypertension-years-ago.html
Thank you, ***** ***** Customer Support Team.

Was this information helpful to you? I would be glad to answer any further questions.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please consider a positive 5 star rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

The rating button is on the left upper side of this thread.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl