Prevertebral soft tissue thickening is not due to cancer. It occurs because of degenerative arthritis termed osteoarthritis. The treatment is;
1) Neck care in the activities of daily living.
a) No working on computer for more than half an hour in a single stretch. Same for TV.
b) Monitors and televisions exactly in front (180 degrees).
c) Contour pillow: Should fill the hollow when lying on back or straight. Available over the counter.
2) Cervical Collar or Brace
3) Cervical traction
4) Anti-inflammatory analgesics like Ibuprofen
5) Some physicians do give oral steroids in severe radiculopathy cases, in whom pain / numbness / tingling is quite significant.
6) Physical therapy: gradually increasing exercises from passive stretching to active against resistance regime.
7) Electrotherapy in the form of TENS, interferential and laser and ultrasound.
8) Hot fomentation
9) Local analgesic patch / ointment / spray
You can consult following specialists;
c) MD in Physical medicine and rehabilitation.
Please feel free for your follow up questions.I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.Thanks for using Just Answer.