Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM. Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine
22950887

I HAVE A FRIEND WHO SUFFER FROM SERVE HEADACHES AND

Customer Question

I HAVE A FRIEND WHO SUFFER FROM SERVE HEADACHES AND DIZZINESS WHICH SOMETIME CAUSES HER TO FAINT.THE PAIN FROM THE HEADACHE IS CENTERED ON THE TOP PORTION OF HER HEAD. SHE HAS VISITED HER DOCTOR MANY TIMES IN THE PASS YEAR BUT NO RELIEF. SHE LIVES IN CAPE TOWN, SOUTH AFRICA.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 1 month ago.
Welcome to Ja and thanks for this question. I'm sorry to hear about your friend. Actually there are a number of conditions which can cause this sort of problem. The first one which comes to mind is that she could be experiencing repeated episodes of migraines which can be severe enough to cause loss of consciousness as well as the dizziness that she is experiencing. This would be diagnosed with the help of a clinical examination and can be treated with preventive medications like topiramate , valproic acid etc.
Another cause of this could be associated with a problem in the brain. If the headache occurs early in the morning and is associated with nausea and vomiting then it should be evaluated with the help of a mri for a possible tumor. This can be a benign tumor like meningioma which can cause these sort of symptoms.
Yet another cause of these symptoms can be associated with the heart as well. Abnormal heart rhythms can cause these symptoms and also the headache. This would need to be diagnosed with a EKG, 24 hour Holter monitor test as well as an echocardiography.
I think she needs a few more tests to determine what the cause here can be, the mri of the brain should be done especially to determine the cause. I would also recommend that she visit a neurologist as well.
Do you have anymore questions?
Please remember to leave a positive rating as that is how we are compensated for helping you today

Would you like to know anything else? Any clarifications or additional questions that you might have, i would be happy to answer them for you. If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating.