Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

I have had excess mucus in my stools lately. Sometimes when…

I have had excess...

I have had excess mucus in my stools lately. Sometimes when I have a BM I get pain in my lower right quadrant just above my hip bone. I have that same pain often even when I am not having a BM. I have also had episodes of tachycardia with irregular beats that make me feel shaky and difficult to breathe. This occurs separately, but also every time after a BM and the symptoms are more pronounced

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?

The pain is intermittent, but seems to worsen if I do not have a BM. During a BM if I strain or push too hard, the pain worsens periodically.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I have had history of hemorrhagic cysts on my right ovary, so during ovulation it is difficult to determine if the pain in my RLQ is from a cyst or GI related. I also have IgA nephropathy, but that has been stable with no symptoms for over a year now.

I also take 20mg BID/6days of adderall for ADHD. The bouts of tachycardia do not seem to be related as they do not happen every time I take my medication
9/14/2017
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Welcome to Ja and thanks for this question. I'm sorry to hear about your symptoms. Actually there can be a number of conditions which can cause these symptoms. The first one which comes to mind is that you could have developed a condition known as inflammatory bowel disease. This would cause the mucus in the stools and also cause a problem like blood in the stools in some cases. This causes inflammation of the intestines. The diagnosis can be made with the help of a colonsocopy and also with the help of blood tests. The treatment can be with steroids and also sulfa containing drugs.
The abnormal heart beats can also be a consequence if this problem as this is an autoimmune disease which can affect the heart as well. For this you would need to get an echocardiography EKG and a 24 hour Holter monitor done. Medications can be used to control the rhythm. Another thing which should be looked into is the electrolyte balance which can lead to this problem as well. These irregular beats are known as cardiac arrhythmias.
Yet another cause of these symptoms could be associated with a thyroid problem which can commonly cause irregular heart rate as well abdominal pain. This would be diagnosed with the help of a simple thyroid function test.
Another cause of this could be associated with a condition known as pheochromocytoma which is a benign tumor which produces an excess amount of adrenaline among other catecholamines. This would be diagnosed with 24 hour urinary catecholamines levels and vma levels. The treatment can be with various medications and surgery.
I would recommend that you first get screened for these conditions and if they come back as negative then we can look into other more rare causes.
Do you have anymore questions?
Please remember to leave a positive rating as that is how we are compensated for helping you today
I had a CBC, BMP, and urinalysis done in June (all current symptoms were present when labs were performed). All values were normal, except my sodium levels were low (131) and I had trace ketones in urine. 4 years ago I had recurrent episodes where my lips and tongue would swell when I ate. I had an skin allergy test done, where I reacted to almost everything, but immediate blood tests were negative for an allergic response. I have also had issues with vasoconstriction in my extremities that was diagnosed as reynauds phenomenon, since tests were negative for the rheumatoid factor they ruled out RA.
The nephropathy, allergic response, and reynauds all occurred independently of one another, but I guess my question is whether or not it's a possibility that these were misdiagnosed and they might be related to an autoimmune disease like lupus
Did they do an ana? Esr? What about a complete autoimmune panel? Including tests for inflammatory bowel disease? If not they should be done.
Secondly none of these tests would pick up on the conditions I described above and given that you have raynauds phenomenon I would consider an autoimmune cause first of all. Lupus is a possibility but so are several other autoimmune diseases. As I said inflammatory bowel disease is also an autoimmune disease as well. I would concentrate on the autoimmune aspect first of all and also get the Holter monitor done which would help in determining which arrhythmia this can be.
Do you have anymore questions?
I have not had an autoimmune panel recently, but all 3 of those were performed when I was tested during my allergic response episodes. If it were a thyroid problem would I not exhibit other symptoms as well? I have not had a loss or gain in weight and my BP has been normal
does smoking makes symptoms worse. I smoke about a half a pack a day, sometimes when I smoke I get severe abdominal cramping
Actually yes smoking those make those symptoms worse. It is advisable to avoid smoking or atleast cutting down significantly.
Secondly thyroid problems can occur even in the absence of other symptoms only in very advanced disease would you experience the weight gain etc and many patients don't experience those symptoms at all. So it is worth getting tested for it. I think regarding the autoimmune panel, you need a detailed one which would be able to pick up on any abnormalities. Such as an Ena panel or one of the other detailed panels.
Do you have anymore questions?
Ok. Do you feel like it is unlikely that it could be related to a pancreatic insufficiency? Thought being that I eat less when I take my medication, most of the time I am eating a small lunch and a late dinner. With trace ketones in my urine (and mod amounts during my allergic response episodes), I am wondering if maybe that could cause malabsorption
If this was malabsorption then you would also have significant diarrhea which would not be occasional. Secondly the stools would smell very bad, stuck to the toilet, float on water and would be difficult to flush away. Weight loss is a characteristic feature of malabsorption and it is usually present in almost every patient.
However it is still possible for this to be present but i would keep it down the list.
Do you have anymore questions?
Please remember to leave a positive rating as that is how we are compensated for helping you today.
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Thank you.
You are welcome.
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor