Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM. Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine
22950887

I had a terrible situation this morning with Firecider,

Customer Question

Hello, I had a terrible situation this morning with Firecider, which has all type of hot peppers, tumeric, etc. in it. I drinkg 2 tblespoons every morning. For some reason, I choker, and it ended up in my lungs. excruciating pain and at first I couldn't breathe. The rest of the day was a heavy, hacking cough, which has persisted. Research indicates that the cough is a way to move accumulated mucus, but I am very uncomfortable. This also affected energy levels and appetite. Please let me know your thoughts. Coughing persists.
JA: How long have you been dealing with the cough? Are you having any other symptoms?
Customer: Since it happened. I am starting to get some mucus but did I damage my lungs? I had no idea that vinegar could be hazardous...my mother always drank a little. Should I sleep up right tonight? This has really spooked me. I work out a lot and am generally very healthy. I am in my 50's, and also have a low grade asthma condition, that is generally dormant.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: Alcohol on occasion, and we just had a big celebration last weekend.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Medical
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I really need to try to get to bed. I have an early morning and I can't sit up all night waiting. Sorry, but I thought responses were fairly immediate. Please LMK.
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 1 month ago.
Welcome to Ja and thanks for this question. I just came online to see that you have been waiting for some time, so I'll just quickly answer this question for you. It will take me a few mins to write down an answer for you. Thanks for your patience.
Actually from your description it sounds like that you have developed damage to either the epiglottis which is small covering of the windpipe or the liquid could have entered into your lungs. However the former is more likely here as you don't seem to have any wheezing or shortness of breath which would usually be evident with aspiration of the liquid into the lungs. Even so in minor cases of aspiration nit much is needed apart from close monitoring and observation. The cough in your case should start to fade within a day or so and until it does you should start using otc cough suppressants like mucinex dm or robitussin. In addition also start using otc antihistamines like zyrtec or Claritin which should be helpful as well.
I would suggest that you try using the above medications and see if they help and if they don't then you would need to see your doctor in the morning, if however you develop shortness of breath then proceed to the er. Secondly you should sleep with the head need elevated for tonight.
Do you have anymore questions
Please remember to leave a positive rating as that is how we are compensated for helping you today