Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I'm having chest pain left side to right by my sternum, when…

Customer Question
I'm having chest pain...

I'm having chest pain left side to right by my sternum, when I inhale it hurts the worst hurts to swallow and hurts hold my breath

Doctor's Assistant: Have you ever dealt with this before? Are you having any shortness of breath?

Yes short of breath, hard to catch my breath. And I have asthma and scar tissue from histoplasmosis but I haven't felt any pain like this before

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Histoplasmosis scar tissue and asthma

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Medical
9/14/2017
Doctor: Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor replied 8 months ago

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer, or further information request.

What is your age and gender?

Any history or family history of heart disease, high cholesterol?

Are you a smoker?

20 year old female
My father has had 3 heart attacks and has 6 stents
Not a smoker

Thanks for the additional information. I am writing the answer for you and will get back to you in 4-5 minutes. If you get a phone call request, you may ignore it as that is an automated site trigger. Thank you.

Your symptoms are likely due to;

Esophageal spasm

Costochondritis

Acid reflux

In young females of your age group, heart disease is highly uncommon.

But the medical guidelines are to get an EKG and echocardiography for all the chest pain which are moderate to severe in intensity. The chance of heart related issues in less than 1-2%, but that is worth enough for getting them for all.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Following should be the possibilities in your case (in order of decreasing incidence);

1) GERD would be prime consideration as it is one of the commonest cause for non cardiac chest pain.

2) Hiatus hernia

3) Esophagitis

4) Costochondritis; it is inflammation at the junctions of rib and cartilage or with the breast bone / sternum. Local analgesic ointment, or spray, chest brace and warm compresses with Ibuprofen is helpful. Another possibility is muscle sprain. Please read about the costochondritis;

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/costochondritis/DS00626

5) Esophageal spasm

6) Pleurodynia

7) Polychondritis

Was this information helpful to you? I would be glad to answer any further questions.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please consider a positive 5 star rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

The rating button is on the left upper side of this thread.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl

Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor