Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Medical Doctor
Experience:  20 Years in Internal Medicine, Neurology and Sports Medicine
61817858

I was diagnosed with pleurisy it's so painful Advil won't

Customer Question

I was diagnosed with pleurisy it's so painful Advil won't work
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 month ago.

What is the cause of your pleurisy? What are your doctors doing to treat this?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
They just said a virus and Advil but it's not doing anything to relieve the pain
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 month ago.

This condition can be very painful and make it hard to breath, cough, sneeze, etc. I would suggest you ask your doctor to put you on a nerve stabilizer, such as gabapentin or pregabalin, which will help to calm down the irritate nerves in the lining of your lungs. In addition, they may want to give you a narcotic such as T#3 to help you to sleep at night. This combination usually works quite well until the inflammation subsides.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have leftover pain meds to take. What causes it?
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 month ago.

This is a very painful condition caused by inflammation in the lining of the lung. It can make it very uncomfortable to breath deep, cough, laugh or sneeze. You should ask your doctor for a nerve stabilizing medication, such as gabapentin or pregabalin, to calm down the irritated nerve fibers in the lining. At night, you might need a narcotic pain killer such as T#3 or norco, temporarily, until the condition subsides.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
What causes the inflammation
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 month ago.

A virus can get into the lining of the lung (pleuritis) just as it can get into the heart (myocarditis), the brain (meningitis) or the lung itself (pneumonitis). It can take a couple weeks to go away. The inflammation can sometime take several weeks to improve even after the virus is gone.

Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 month ago.

Hello. How are you feeling today? Do you have any follow up questions for me?

Let me know if you do and I would be happy to help further