Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I was diagnosed with pleurisy it's so painful Advil won't…

Customer Question
I was diagnosed with pleurisy...
I was diagnosed with pleurisy it's so painful Advil won't work
Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Medical
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/13/2017
Doctor: Dr. Bob, Medical Doctor replied 9 months ago
Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Medical Doctor

What is the cause of your pleurisy? What are your doctors doing to treat this?

They just said a virus and Advil but it's not doing anything to relieve the pain

This condition can be very painful and make it hard to breath, cough, sneeze, etc. I would suggest you ask your doctor to put you on a nerve stabilizer, such as gabapentin or pregabalin, which will help to calm down the irritate nerves in the lining of your lungs. In addition, they may want to give you a narcotic such as T#3 to help you to sleep at night. This combination usually works quite well until the inflammation subsides.

I have leftover pain meds to take. What causes it?

This is a very painful condition caused by inflammation in the lining of the lung. It can make it very uncomfortable to breath deep, cough, laugh or sneeze. You should ask your doctor for a nerve stabilizing medication, such as gabapentin or pregabalin, to calm down the irritated nerve fibers in the lining. At night, you might need a narcotic pain killer such as T#3 or norco, temporarily, until the condition subsides.

What causes the inflammation

A virus can get into the lining of the lung (pleuritis) just as it can get into the heart (myocarditis), the brain (meningitis) or the lung itself (pneumonitis). It can take a couple weeks to go away. The inflammation can sometime take several weeks to improve even after the virus is gone.

Hello. How are you feeling today? Do you have any follow up questions for me?

Let me know if you do and I would be happy to help further