How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr.Saleem Your Own Question
Dr.Saleem, Doctor
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 2303
Experience:  MBBS
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr.Saleem is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My daughter has Crohn's disease. Blood tests show iron

Customer Question

My daughter has Crohn's disease. Blood tests show iron saturation 8%, platelets 563, MCH 26.3 and C-Reactive Protein 47. Obviously this is a Flare. My question is when should we take her to the emergency room? She is so tired but not in much pain yet.
JA: Is this a time sensitive issue? What type of specimen are they testing?
Customer: Routine blood work
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: She had a fistula in her ileum that connected to her ovary and became an abscess. She was hospitalized for about 9 days for this. That is the only surgery. She was diagnosed with Crohn's in October 2016. Surgery was in February 2017.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr.Saleem replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome to JA. Dr Saleem here. Will be answering you shortly

Expert:  Dr.Saleem replied 1 month ago.

Well as physicians we always look to treat the symprtoms / clinical findings rather then the labs so if she is doing alright without any pain or too much bowel distress then its not at all urgent to visit ER . You can wait and watch for now.

Hope your query is answered.

Plz let me know if you have any further queries.

Please reward a 5 stars rating if you are satisfied.

Wishing you a healthy life.


Expert:  Dr.Saleem replied 1 month ago.

You need to watch her bowels, besides pain abdomen. If it gets worse on both accounts, alongwith the elevated CRP ,you should seek help.