Dr. Mo
Dr. Mo, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Urgent Care Physician
96392890

Ive been on the depo shot and have bled for 5 weeks straight

ive been on the depo shot and have bled for 5 weeks straight i was given birth contol pills (levest) to help stop the bleeding its been 8 days and it still hasnt stopped can i double up the dose for a few days
JA: When was your last pap smear? Have you ever had an irregular pap?
Customer: no i havent
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: no

Hi, Dr. Mo here with JA. Please let me review the information and I'll reply shortly.

You can double up on it but it's not likely to work if it didn't work at the regular daily dosage.

I would recommend either starting on high dose ibuprofen which can help stabilize the endometrium (lining of uterus) or to have your doctor prescribe you provera instead.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
IS THERE ANY REASON WHY THE PILL DIDNT WORK
i was told to give it 14 days but so far i have seen no change
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
norethisterone did not work
tranexamic acid also didnt work
i am desperate for this to stop as i have a 3 week holiday coming up

It's usually a 50/50 chance that it will work. Depends on if the bleeding is still in the mild stages or if a lot of the endometrium has built up.

I would recommend continuing with the levest that you're on now and adding in high dose NSAIDs. It's going to work, just taking longer which I can imagine is incredibly frustrating.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
i have 200mg ibuprofen
how many of these should i take a day please

Most of the time these things take 2 weeks and then they stop, you're getting close, try to hold out a little while longer.

take 4 of those 3x per day. That's 800mg 3x per day.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
do i continue this till the bleeding stops or take them till my holiday is overmy next shot is due on 27th October which i will not be going for

You would continue it until the bleeding stops, however, if you are getting really close to your holiday then you might as well continue it. It's safe to drink with it.

Depot shots have this bad side effect of causing really erratic bleeding in some women. It can take up 6 months to get a normal period so maybe it would be best to try a different birth control method other than the depot.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
my holiday is in 16 days awayso in conclusion, should i take a double dose of levest and ibuprofenor stick with the single dose alongside ibuprofen

I would keep the dosage of levest the same, higher dose won't make a difference.

But definitely take the dosage I recommended for the ibuprofen.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
once the shot wears off, is there anything i can take to "reset" my hormones before moving onto a different birth control method?

The best thing to do would be to actually continue an oral contraceptive pill. The Levest would be a fine option. Take that for 3 months straight just to reset everything back to normal.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
i thought doubling the dose will make my estrogen levels increase quicker thereby stopping the bleeding quicker but i guess i thought wrong
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
how long would the ibuprofen take on average to work
can i start with a dosage of 4 now and continue tomorrow
you can start now and resume tomorrow. Ibuprofen by itself won't do much but combined with the Levest it should take about 2 days to make a difference.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
okay thank you
i really hope this works
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
what would provera do...as you initially mentioned it as an option

It's a high progesterone pill and can help stop irregular bleeding.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Since depo is high in progesterone and causing me bleeding
Wont this make it worse
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have started on the ibuprofen alongside the levest so hopefully it works soon
Crossing my fingers that it will.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
hi, sorry to bother you againi started on the regimen...is it normal to have almost no bleeding during the day and the bleeding starting at night?

Yes, quite normal. The bleeding is regulated by many different hormones, your body temp, and your blood pressure. All these change throughout the day.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
i was a little worried yesterday when during the day the bleeding was almost non existent but during the night.. it returned full time.i had been taking the ibuprofen for 24 hours alongside the levest. Should i be worried about this or should i just keep waiting it out

No there is no reason to worry. I would continue with your current regimen of medication including the ibuprofen.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Sorry to ask you yet again
I an still on the regimen and find that in the day the bleeding is almost non existent but at night or early hours of the morning around 5am, the bleeding returns.. sometimes containing few clots.
What could this mean?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Sorry to ask you yet again
What could this mean?Does this mean it is working or is it likely to stay like this?I really need it to stop before my holiday.Any other possible solutions will be appreciated

The daytime pattern of bleeding is related to various factors including the level of hormones in your system, your stress level, body temperature, hydration level, blood pressure.

I can't think of any other solutions to stop bleeding except the medications you are using.

Again, progesterone only such as provera is a possibility but it may not work any better than what you're on.

IV estrogen can be given for serious bleeding issues but it has plenty of risks so it's less likely that you OB will agree to it.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Based on the effects of the levest and ibuprofen so far, would you say that you are confident that it would work at some point and that i should carry on?

Oh 100% it will work, there is no doubt in my mind. So yes, you should definitely continue.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank youLastly, i have read about a few adverse effects of taking ibuprofen in high dosesShould i just carry on taking it even if it takes further days for it to stop the bleeding

There are side effects of taking ibuprofen in high doses, I will list them below for you. Unfortunately whenever you try to get rid of some set of unwanted symptoms by introducing medications into your system there are always some side effects. Often these are benign but sometimes they can turn out to be quite serious. That is why you should exceed the FDA recommended doses of maximum over the counter of 2,400mg in one day.

• upset stomach
  • intestinal bleed
  • heart attack
  • rash
  • allergic reaction
  • kidney damage
Customer: replied 29 days ago.
Dear Dr. Mo
today is day 5 of my regimen, and though the bleeding has reduced abit its still there.....im really worried it will never work and now my hoilday is just 11 days away... can my estroegn levels be soo low that this is taking ages to work? today is day 13 on the combined pill....or do i swap to a different pill?
i am really distressed as i dont want this to ruin my 3 week holiday with my fiancee
I wouldn't make any changes. Even if it has dropped down a little and bleeding is even a touch lighter that's great news. I'm confident it will be much better in the next 5 days or so.
Customer: replied 28 days ago.
Hi,So i went for a review with my doctor today...And mentioned that now the bleeding has reduced to spotting (having to change twice in 24 hours)I was told that eventho the bleeding has slowed, it will not completely stop....So i have been given Utovlan (5mg) to stop the bleeding. She has asked me to come off the levest and take this Utovla (5mg) three times a day for 3 weeks (for the duration of my holiday) she said it could work ir might not but she is confident that it will.Can you please advise

I think when you put 2 doctors in the middle of one problem you might add to your confusion. I don't know how to advise you on another physician's practice because I don't know all the details and the details really matter. If your bleeding had reduced to spotting and your clinician thought that the spotting wouldn't end then that's something that I'm unfamiliar with. I have never had a patient in a decade of practicing who has spotted forever - I am guessing your clinician has had such a patient and hence their unique recommendation.

Feel free to ask me a specific question and I'm happy to answer it. But I'm afraid I won't be of much use commenting on your doctor's specific practice style.

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
ThanksWith regard to the regimen you suggested, today is day 8 and i am currently having a mix of spotting and a little bleeding.It would go brownish for a while then bleed a little for a few hours then back to spottingThis has occurred for 3 days
Does this mean that my uterine lining is still unstable?
Correct. Your uterine lining hasn't yet returned to normal likely because your hormones are still unstable.
Customer: replied 28 days ago.
Do you think they will stabilise as long as i carry on with the regimen?
I do think so yes.
Customer: replied 25 days ago.
hi, i was given Utovlan (5mg) tablets to take 3 times a day and discontinue the pill as i was still bleeding.i have now discontinued the pill and started the Utovlan today (taken 2 tablets so far) and experiencing light pink bleeding. is this a withdrawal bleed from stopping the pill or is it a sign that it could be workingis there a possibility that this could work and how long will this take?i am also experiencing abdominal cramps

It's hard to say, for Utovlan to work that quickly would be odd, usually takes about 2.5 days for it to kick in. Sounds to me that you are improving either way.

Abdominal cramps could be from all the various hormone changes.