Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM. Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine
22950887

My dear friend has a high BP today. It was 198/111 at 10:00

Customer Question

My dear friend has a high BP today. It was 198/111 at 10:00 this morning. He got medicine filled at pharmacy and his BP is now 150/102. Should we take him to the ER?
JA: When was last time you had a check up? Is there a history of high blood pressure in your family?
Customer: History yes, he normally takes BP medicine daily but ran out and hasn't had meds in 3 days
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: High colesterol over weight
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 1 month ago.

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. Im sorry to hear about your friend. Actually the reading he had this morning was clearly an indication he needed to go to the hospital however his BP has now come down to a less dangerous level. However if he is experiencing any of the following symptoms then he needs to go to the ER,

Dizziness

Lightheadedness

Chest pain

Shortness of breath

Palpitations

Sweating

Weakness or numbness in the extremities

Anxiety

These symptoms would indicate that he needs to be evaluated with the help fo a clinical examination and also with the help of additional tests. if he does not have these symptoms then he should try and rest and relax however the BP should be monitored over the next couple of hours, if it comes down then he should be fine however if it remains this elevated even after 2-3 hours or rises or if he develops symptoms then take him to the ER.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Would you like to know anything else? Any clarifications or additional questions that you might have, i would be happy to answer them for you. If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating.