Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Just a brief description (in case that matters) i am almost…

Just a brief description...

Just a brief description (in case that matters) i am almost 35, female.. I have severe teeth problems (nothing that really effects me pain wise so much just saying in case that might possibly contribute to ascertaining a diagnosis for me). I definitely have several areas of severe stress in my life. My sleep habits are sketchy at best ( couple of nights awake then crash for 24-36 hours straight, repeat.) I am also a heroin addict, I only use a little each day just so I wont have to go thru the agony of opiate withdrawl, but I've been medicating myfself daily this way for upwards of five years. (I never have liked the high one experiences off of opiates. Unfortunately I dated a man that was a true "junkie

Doctor's Assistant: Is the pain consistent, or does it fluctuate?

Several years ago and he got me on it and then explained the sicknesss thing. But the point of all that was to say I guess aroound two years ago I started getting these horrific (like pain of 12.5 on a scale of 1-10) headaches. They come on super abruptly and withot warning and there has never been a pattern to them that i can see. but they feel like a white hot dagger is being plunged down thru the very center of my skull and it hurts so badly it actually makes me involuntarily clench my teeth-HARD and my eyes feel like the cross. No more than 15-20 SECONDS after they begin, they end, just as quickly and mysteriously as they came on. Since they don't last really that long at all and they only use to occur randomly (if i had to guesstimate... I'd average their occurances to be around 1-3 times monthly, if that.) I probably would never have even thought to ask a physician about their possible origin. HOWEVER: about three days ago, their occurrences multiplied EXPONENTIALLY!!! By that I mean that in the last past three days, i've suffered around 125-150 individual, now maybe 20-30second headaches that make me want to pass out the hurt so badly. Now if I thought that this was brouight on my stress, I wold not be so concernedd, but I am worried now that they are indicitive of a more severe, serious medical issue and I have no desier to die at all Any ideas?

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Um possibly my food intake. I eat way too much sugar and not at all the righht vitamins daily... goes with my choice of lifestyles i'm afraid. diabetes and high blood pressure run in my family. I have an extremely irregular period. I can NEVER predict it (sometimes i'll be on it only four or five days and then not have it for six or seven weeks... this particular month, i started at the very end of august, bled for about seven days fairly heavy, for me, anyway. when it was finally over, i got a little over eight days of reprieve and then started again. I am still on my period today!) I think that's about all, maam. thanks so much for your time

9/13/2017

Hello I'm Dr Chip

These sound like what are called ice pick headaches from your description

They are somewhat related to migraines but typically they only last for a few moments or a couple of minutes

Not related to a brain tumor or a bleed inside the brain and they can be treated with propranolol or indomethacin or gabapentin if they become frequent

But any time there's an acceleration of these that demands that you get evaluated by a doctor and I would get an MRI of your brain just to rule out the unlikely possibility of a brain tumor or a bleed

Please let me know if you need any more information