Dr. Mo
Dr. Mo, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Urgent Care Physician
96392890

I am having a very unusual period this month, it's been very

Hi. I am having a very unusual period this month, it's been very slow to actually start bleeding, I have an IUD normally my periods are very heavy I bleed a lot for serval days but this one is very different, it starts a little bit of brown blood then stops, been bleeding for the past 6 days off and on but not real constant blood and it's only brown gritty almost sand like blood?
JA: Have you been keeping a personal medical record?
Customer: Sure
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: Pretty normal, never had a serious illness or surgery

Hi, Dr. Mo here with JA. Please let me review the information and I'll reply shortly.

Are you having any other symptoms with this unusual period? Symptoms that perhaps you normally don't have such as nausea or back pain or headaches or leg swelling?

Also, how long have you had the IUD in place? Sounds like you've had it for some time.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Nausea and back pain. Have had the back pain for awhile but thought it was muscle related since didn't have other symptoms that would link it to a bladder infection/ UTI. Been nauseous and threw up serval times. This is my second IUD. It's he Copper one. The first one I had in place for 10 years, just replaced my IUD with a new one about 5 months ago.

Sometimes the period can be irregular in this manner where it can either be really clumpy or have a lot of clots or be gritty.

It doesn't indicate anything else more serious since the symptoms you are having would be consistent with a normal period.

Do you normally have bouts of throwing up during your period?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No. Not normally, though nausea in general is not uncommon for me.

Did you have any particular concerns with this period especially because it's different than your norm?

Increased nausea compared to your normal periods is usually due to elevated estrogens right before your period. This will cause a lot more nausea and even vomiting.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
My main concern was weather I had an infection like TSS or something by my IUD that would be causing this period to be so strange, and the constant dark brown sandy blood, was very different then the normal bright red or sometimes I have clots and clumps but usually not this color for so long. Also never had my period not actually start, so 6 days of off and on strange blood was concerning for me. Thanks for your help.

TSS with IUD is incredibly uncommon and my most recent review of this showed that if an IUD is going to cause an infection it's only because it has wandered off somewhere which only happens within the first 1-2 months of having it placed and usually is associated with much more severe pains that are constant and not just during the period.

With TSS the fever is usually quite high and often a lot of vaginal discharge that would be mostly yellowish/greenish as indicated with cervicitis or infection of the uterus.

I can understand the concern with the period being different but I don't want you to be concerned because this is quite common with my patients in my practice who have IUD's. The level of your hormones will affect the way the period will behave. Sometimes intermittent, sometimes clumpy, sometimes clots, sometimes just a lot of heavy bleeding which can take too long (due to lack of adequate estrogen). All normal variations and not anything that's serious or needs any further testing.

Please let me know if you have any questions about the above or anything else I can clarify.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No questions. Seems pretty straightforward. Thank you, ***** ***** your help.

Glad I could help.

Thank you for the rating.

Have a wonderful day.