Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS MS. Post doctoral fellowship in Sports Medicine. General surgeon and sports medicine specialist
5625079

I am having difficulty having a bowel movement an hour after

I am having difficulty having a bowel movement an hour after I eat.I am afraid to go to a restaurant with this problem. My stool is not solid and have a messy cleanup..
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: I take no medication for this. My urologist has moved 75 miles away and I am waiting for my pc to help me. I won't see him until Oct. 26.
JA: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?
Customer: I take lisinipril for high bp and adavan for anxiety.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I can't spell it right but I'll try. hemheroids.

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer, or further information request.

What is your age and gender?

Since when are you having bowel movement after a meal?

Do you have any bowel leak?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I am 80 yrs. old and male since approx. 3 months yes

I am sorry, I cannot phone you but I am answering you here in 4-5 minutes.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I will take the answer via e-mail , skip the phone call.

Your symptoms are suggestive of intestinal motility disorder. One of the commonest is called as irritable bowel syndrome (IBS). Following investigations may be considered (if not done);

1) The complete blood count (CBC); altered in irritable bowel disease (in whom leukocytosis / high WBC count is the more frequent result).

2) Protein electrophoresis pattern may show alterations of both albumin and globulins (especially alpha-1 and gamma globulins) in IBS.

3) Thyroid function tests; a high thyroid may cause loose and frequent bowel motions.

4) A barium meal is a helpful study in the diagnosis of intestinal motility disorders.

5) Computed tomography (CT) and nuclear magnetic resonance examinations are also necessary.

6) Defecography

7) Scintigraphic study of the small bowel or colonic transit time is currently most preferred investigation for your symptoms. It shows the intestinal progression of the meal.

Medications like neostigmine, bethanechol, metoclopramide, cisapride, and loperamide may help you.

Following measures collectively may help;

1) Fiber supplementation may improve loose motions. Citrucel and FiberCon may produce less flatulence than psyllium compounds (Metamucil).

2) Caffeine avoidance may limit exacerbation.

3) Lactose and/or fructose should also be limited or avoided.

4) Lomotil and the other medications we discussed above. All of these are prescription medications.

A recommended diet resource for IBS;

http://www.webmd.com/ibs/controlling-irritable-bowel-syndrome-with-diet

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.