Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Extremely painful back spasms at night, only a few nights.

Customer Question
Extremely painful back spasms...

Extremely painful back spasms at night

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?

Only a few nights . any movement seems to set them off

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I recently bumped my forehead.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Medical
9/13/2017
Doctor: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor replied 11 months ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. Now from what you are describing it sounds like that you may have developed a problem with the lower back itself. Sometimes inflammation of the joints in the lower back can lead to this sort of pain which can worsen on lying down at night. The muscle spasms usually occur due to compression of the nerves which are leaving the spinal cord. This would lead to muscle spasms like the ones you have been experiencing. This would be diagnosed on a clinical examination and also with the help of xray of the lower spine as well as a MRI of teh region as well. the treatment would be with physiotherapy, steroid injections as well as other modalities. A disc proilapse would cause these sort of symptoms as well in many conditions. This would be diagnosed in much the same manner.

Another cause of this could be simple muscle spasms caused by dehydration or even electrolyte imbalances which could have developed during the day. This would be countered with the help of increased plain water intake during the day and cutting back on caffeine and alcohol. At the same time you would also need to drink electrolyte rich fluids like gatorade and pedialyte. Additionally try using OTC anti inflammatory medications like ibuprofen at a dose of 600 mg once at night about 1-2 hours before going to bed. if these dont help then you should see your doctor and have the other conditions evaluated.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/