Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

I have had blood pressure problems for a while. Had to go to…

I have had blood pressure...
I have had blood pressure problems for a while. Had to go to hospital as blood pressure was over 200 bottom number was high too and my pulse was 142. I did not have a heart attack and left hospital. The next morning I woke up with a terrible rash around my neck. My ears are so swollen. Went to hospital again and was provided with cream and told to get benelyn. Rash just spread. Went to nurse practitioner and she prescribed pregnezone. Sorry don't know how to spell that. My blood pressure has been good. But heart rate is always over 100. I woke up last night at 12 pm and my blood pressure was 193 over 85. Heart rate 159. So scared. I think I need a cpap machine. I used a chin strap when I went back to bed. My heart rate is still 121. What can I do about that heart rate. I am 60 years old. Jus retired and female
9/13/2017
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Welcome to JA And thanks for this question. Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. Now from your description it sounds like that you are getting repeated episodes of extremely high blood pressure which is intermittent in nature and this is accompanied by high heart rate. One thing which should be excluded here is a condition known as pheochromocytoma. This is a BENIGN tumor of the adrenals which can release a large amount of adrenaline etc intermittently leading to high blood pressure and the high heart rate. This would be diagnosed with the help of a simple urinary test checking the levels of catecholamines or even VMA levels. Once diagnosed it can be treated with medications and also surgery to remove the tumor. Again this is a BENIGN tumor which is NOT the same as cancer.

The second thing which should be looked into is that you could be experiencing heart arrhythmias which are irregular rapid heart rhythms. This can cause the high blood pressure and also the high heart rate and this would be diagnosed on the basis of a EKG and ALSO with the help monitoring your heart for a period of 48 hours. This is known as a holter monitor test. Once diagnosed it can be treated with medications.

Now apart from this, yes sleep apnea can cause both of these problems as well. This would be diagnosed with sleep studies and once diagnosed it would be treated with CPAP or BiPAP machines which you can wear while you sleep.

Now given your current heart rate, you can try using OTC benadryl which can help you relax and also help reduce your heart rate however if the heart rate does not drop below 120 in the next one hour OR if you develop any symptoms like dizziness, lightheadedness, sweating, chest pain, shortness of breath, headaches, weakness or numbness in the limbs then you should immediately head to the ER or urgent care center.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

You haven't mentioned anything about the rash I mentioned which I think is the reason my blood pressure went up so high. Drs think it is an allergy from something I ate.
Is the phone not working

The pheochromocytoma that i mentioned can cause the rash as well as the swelling as well. That is a major cause of all of teh symptoms. Secondly the rash can also be due to excess cortisol production which can also cause the other two symptoms and a Ct scan which can pick up on the pheochromocytoma can also check on other adrenal abnormalities.

A rash due to an allergy would cause the blood pressure to rise but not to this extent, a BP of greater than 200 is not usually due to an allergy. It can however trigger one of the underlying problems that i mentioned.

Also i did not send the phone call request, i am unable to take calls but another expert will come along and see if they can call you. You will not be charged unless someone calls you.

Do you have any more questions?

Dr. Muneeb Ali
DIEGO BONILLA
Phone call session started
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor