Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My husband has tingling and burning down his neck started on…

Customer Question
My husband has tingling...

My husband has tingling and burning down his neck started on one side and now on the other and tingling is moving up his chin now. we had a sonogram and it showed some plaque but now blockage. What else could it be.

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with the burning? Are you experiencing any other discomfort?

No pain, it has been going on for a few months, he just had a brain scan but no definite results back. they are sending us to Las Vegas for another scan at Cleveland clinic. They mentioned MS

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

He is 57 yrs old and I don't think any MS in imediate family history

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Medical
ok
9/13/2017
Doctor: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor replied 9 months ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. Im sorry to hear about your husband's symptoms. There are a number of conditions which can cause this problem. Now there area few causes in which this could occur, the first one is MS as you have been advised about. Usually MS would cause tingling, numbness, burning or even twitching in the muscles in different regions of the body and not only the neck, however if other more common causes are ruled out then MS can be considered. it would usually show lesions in the cervical spine MRI and also in the MRI of the brain. Sometimes a spinal tap would need to be done. If this is MS then it can be treated with various medications which can suppress the coondition and prevent it from progressing in many cases.

Another cause of this could be associated with the cervical spine itself, compression of the nerves in the region due to disc prolapse or even narrowing of the holes via which the nerves leave could be responsible for this problem. A MRI of the region should be able to pick up on this problem. This is usually the first problem to be ruled out.

The blockage in the major arteries in the neck, the carotids, this can lead to the burning and tingling in region especially if the blockage is severe and is causing problems in the blood supply to the brain which in turn can lead to these sort of symptoms. The brain MRI that he has had done should be be able to determine if this is the case and if so then he can be treated with medications like aspirin, clopidogrel or even surgery to open up the arteries.

In short the burning sensations in the neck need extensive testing to determine the cause, brain MRI, cervical spine MRI, spinal tap and a NCS/EMG test are the next best steps to determine the diagnosis. MS is certainly a possible diagnosis however that usually does cause more symptoms and in multiple locations.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

What are the other symptons of MS

Weakness or decrease in power in the limbs and various muscles

Blurring of vision

Muscle twitching in almost any location in the body

In severe cases, loss of bladder control, retention or incontinence

Numbness in the limbs

Tingling in limbs

muscle spasms, stiffness and weakness.

mobility problems.

pain.

problems with thinking, learning and planning.

depression and anxiety.

Speech difficulties

Swallowing difficulty

Bowel issues like incontinence.

Do you have any more questions?

Would you like to know anything else? Any clarifications or additional questions that you might have, i would be happy to answer them for you. If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating

Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor