Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Is it bad that my most recent CT showed my liver to be 26cm…

Customer Question
Is it bad that...

Is it bad that my most recent CT showed my liver to be 26cm craniocardial dimension and my spleen to be 16cm craniocardial dimension

Doctor's Assistant: What are all the symptoms you're experiencing (e.g. loss of appetite, fever, rash)?

Loss of appetite and sever abdominal pain.

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?

Eating makes pain worse within 20 minutes, sudden movements, sitting up to much all makes the pain worse. Laying down helps weaken the pain but it never goes away. I have been having the pain for a month now.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

My kidney function test also shows that my kidneys are not functioning properly.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Medical
9/13/2017
Doctor: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor replied 11 months ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. Actually your liver and spleen both are enlarged significantly, the liver more so than the spleen. Now enlargement of the libver and spleen by itself does not indicate what disease that you have as these two organs can be enlarged in a number of conditions ranging from infections to hepatitis to infiltrative diseases like sarcoidosis and amylodoisis. This is why when we see an enlarged liver and spleen on the Ct scan or the ultrasound we would correlate this finding with your symptoms and the other tests that you have done. First off given your abdominal pain, it is important to rule out infections in the region a complete hepatitis profile along with tests for CMV, EBV should be done to rule this out as a cause. Next you should also undergo autoimmune tests including ANA, ESR anda complete ENA profile. At the same time you should also get screened for autoimmune hepatitis as well.

Now blood cultures should also be done to rule out bacterial infections or fungal infections which can lead to the enlargement of both of these organs. Now lastly if all of these are normal then you should geta liver biopsy done which will tell us the exact cause of this enlargement.

At the same time a CBC with a peripheral film should be done to rule out problems with the manufacture and maturation of blood cells in the body, which can alao lead to problems with the liver as well as the spleen.

in short this finding is not specific for any one disease process and this just gives us more information which has to be correlated with ALL of the other findings in your clinical examinatuon and test results.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/