How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Vakul Aren Your Own Question
Vakul Aren
Vakul Aren, Doctor
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 4157
Experience:  MBBS,DTM&H,34 years of experience
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Vakul Aren is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My wife exhibits signs of a panic attack. She has not been

Customer Question

My wife exhibits signs of a panic attack. She has not been sleeping well. She won't calm down and says she has tingling in her arms and shortness of breath. Yet, she says she knows she is not having a heart attack. What is something we can try before calling 911?
JA: How long have you been dealing with this? Is there anything in particular that seems to make the symptoms better or worse?
Customer: We remember this happening once a few years ago. We went to ER and they did all the protocols for a heart attack -but it was not. They did nothing and after a long stay they recommended she see her primary doctor. She does see a specialist for depression. No meds have been skipped.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: She is overweight, like 45 lbs, and she has restless leg syndrome. Sleep is always an issue.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Vakul Aren replied 1 month ago.

Hello,I am Dr.Aren and I will help with your query.The symptoms described by you are similar to those of Generalised Anxiety Disorder(GAD) caused by acute stress and anxiety.It would be prudent to see the specialist who she is seeing for her depression as she definitely needs some drugs for her anxiety and stress.These may include a SSRI lke Duoloxetine and anxiolytics like Clonazepam/Lorazepam.Counselling or other forms of therapy may also be needed.