Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I am having vascular surgery on my greater saphenous vein…

Customer Question
I am having vascular...

I am having vascular surgery on my greater saphenous vein next thursday. Would it be safe to take one 10 mg oxytbutynin ER tablet the nite before as I have an overactive bladder

Doctor's Assistant: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?

No allergies, 81 mg aspirin, losartan 100 mg losartan, 500 mg metformin, Voltarin gel. Oral Voltarin, dalmane at nite. I was told I can take the baby aspirin, no metformin day of surgery but to take my synthroid and losartan. I also take a torsemide and atorvastatin which I will not take the previous day or nite ir day of surgery

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Sleep apnea but having this pricedure done at the hospital where there is always a cardiologist predent. Will be a short 30 minute procedure. Most of my problems are with orthopaedic problems. Have idiopathic constipation and overactive bladder.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Medical
9/13/2017
Doctor: Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD) replied 11 months ago
Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD)

Hi, I am an American Board Certified Neurologist with vast experience in diagnosing & treating all neurological as well as all other health/medical conditions, and I am very glad to help you with your health concerns.

I see you are scheduled for vascular surgery on next Thursday and you are wondering whether it is safe to take the above mentioned medication the night before of the surgery. I am very familiar with this type of health situation and I can certainly help you in this regard.

I am currently preparing & typing my answer and I will post my answer here as soon as it is ready.

Best Regards!

Dr Subbanna MD

Yes, you can certainly take Oxybutynin the night prior to the surgery, for treating the overactive bladder condition

There are no contraindications to use this medication before surgery, but please make sure your surgeon and anesthesia doctors who present during the surgery know you are on this medication

But it can certainly be ta***** *****ke this, and it is not expected to cause any untoward issues or complications during the surgery

Once again I reassure you, taking oxybutynin 10 mg ER the night before the vascular surgery you have mentioned above it fine, and it is not expected to cause any kind of complications or issues during or after the surgery, so please not to be scared.

Wishing you all the best with your surgery!

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or if you want to discuss this further.

Assuring you the best services!

Best Regards!

Dr Subbanna MD

Hi, do you have any additional questions? Do you want to discuss this further? Please let me know.

Assuring you the best services!

Best Regards!