Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I went to the Urgent Care today because I have had a bad…

Customer Question
I went to the...

I went to the Urgent Care today because I have had a bad headache for about 10 days. I also checked BP and it was high - 173/88. I am taking one Lisonopril 10 mg daily. The Urgent Care gave me an injection Ketorolac Tromethamine about 6 hours ago to help with the headaches. They also prescribed diclofenac potasium 50 mg tablets which I was told I could take tonight if headache is still there and then 2 times daily as needed. I just moved to a new state and do not have a primary care doctor to see. I was told if things get worse I should go to the Emergency Room. Last time I checked my BP it was 196/112. My BP is normal most of time. I just took a second Lisonopril 10 mg, Is it ok to wait until the morning to see how things are? I feel ok now, except I know what my BP is (which makes me feel very concerned)

Doctor's Assistant: When was last time you had a check up? Is there a history of high blood pressure in your family?

I have a complete check up every November. No high blood pressure in my family

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I take Atenonol for an irregular heartbeat and have for a few years. I also take the lowest dose of Simvastatin for elevated cholestorol. I take 1 mg daily of Prednisone to help with my arthritis. I am 5'7" and weight 140 lbs. I usually work out every day but had squamos cell carcinoma taken of my leg (3 bouts with skin cancer - no melanoma, just basel cell and squamos cell - during the last year and can't work out right now because stitches have to come out first

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Medical
9/13/2017
Doctor: Dr. D. Love, Doctor replied 11 months ago
Dr. D. Love, Doctor

Hello from JustAnswer. This is Dr. Love.

Whether you can wait until the morning depends upon how things go over the next 10-15 minutes. The threshold above which the blood pressure is worrisome is 180/110, and if either number is ***** this threshold, it should be addressed immediately.

The first step to address the elevated blood pressure is to see if resting for 10-15 minutes can help to lower the blood pressure below the threshold. If the blood pressure gets below 180/110, then it would be fine to wait until the morning. However, if the blood pressure remains above 180/110, then it is recommended that you should be seen emergently.

It is also fine to try to address any conditions that may be increasing the blood pressure during the period of rest. And particularly, in this situation, pain is a common reason for someone's blood pressure to increase. If you are having a headache or other pain, it is reasonable to take something for the headache/pain when you are resting. If you are having headache or pain and have already taken the dose of diclofenac for tonight, it is fine to augment the diclofenac with some acetaminophen.

So, if the blood pressure gets below the threshold with rest and pain medicine, then it is fine to wait until tomorrow, but if the blood pressure remains above 180/110, then you should not wait.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.

Please let me know if I can provide any further assistance.