Dr Chip (M.D.), Doctor
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

I have a sliding hiatal hernia that seems to have flared up

Customer Question

I have a sliding hiatal hernia that seems to have flared up after a colonoscopy procedure. The pre prep solution really made me sick. I am taking nexium once a day to try and settle down but how long does it take for intestines to get balanced again
JA: What are all the symptoms you're experiencing (e.g. loss of appetite, fever, rash)?
Customer: Cough, burning throat and some horseness
JA: How long have you been dealing with the burning? Are you experiencing any other discomfort?
Customer: A few weeks..just not feeling like myself
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I have gerd and the sliding hiatal hernia. I had an endoscopy five years ago that showed that. I am 56 post menopausal and take levythyroxine .25 once a day for a sluggish thyroid...other than that very healthy and active
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Chip (M.D.) replied 1 month ago.

Hello I'm Dr Chip

Any fever or headache or nasal discharge with this?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have had nasal discharge

OK

I don't think this is a problem with your hernia and your reflux

It sounds like a sinus infection with post nasal drip that's causing the symptoms you have

For now you can try oral probiotics and a saline nasal irrigation system along with zinc lozenges but if that doesn't clear it up in a few days you need to see your doctor for an exam since you might need a course of oral antibiotics

Please let me know if you need any more information