Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have had this rash behind my foot for several months now…

Customer Question
Hi! I have had...

Hi! I have had this rash behind my foot for several months now (8-10). It started out as the size of a coin, and everybody thought it was an ingrown hair. I tried to find a hair for many days but found nothing and came to the conclusion it was something else. Now, many months later, the rash has grown so much and is about 20x larger then when I first got it. It can hurt and itch a lot - and when I take a shower it gets swollen and red/purpleish. What can it be?

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you had the symptoms? What seems to make the symptoms worse or better?

I have had them this entire summer. It started to get bad in beginning of June. I feel like scratching and going into water makes the symptoms worse.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

No, I cant think of anything that could be related to this

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Medical
9/12/2017
Doctor: Dr Chip (M.D.), Doctor replied 11 months ago

Hello I'm Dr Chip

Could you please post a photo for me on this page?

Here is photos.

Got those--thanks

Have you tried any treatment for this?

No I haven't tried any treatment for it. I thought it could be an ingrown hair or an exem, but I am not so sure anymore. Do you have any idea what this could be and why it is growing?

OK

This is what's called an inflammatory dermatitis

Not a fungal infection if you might have thought about that

For now you can try a combination of 1% over the counter hydrocortisone cream twice a day followed by Eucerin lotion half an hour later for two weeks

If that doesn't clear it up you'll need prescription tacrolimus cream

Please let me know if you need any more information