Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My son has an elevated Ck level of 411 then tested again at…

My son has an...

My son has an elevated Ck level of 411 then tested again at 438. Does he have MD? With that number what are the chances he has MD?

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

Yes. No medications

Doctor's Assistant: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?

No meds

He is 12
9/12/2017
Medicaldoctor

Hello and welcome to justanswer,I shall be consulting you today

Could you please tell what symptoms does your son have?any muscles weakness?difficulty in climbing stairs?

Is there any family history of muscular dystrophies?

Just high CK levels. He's strong, healthy, athletic.
He has large calves but so do his mother and grandfather.
He does walk on his toes.
He does get headaches periodically.
No family history of MD...
No weakness climbing stairs

The normal range for a CK is 60 to 400 units/liter.

Children with Duchenne MD have a CK level that is 10 – 200 times higher than normal

Most common MD in males is Duchenne muscular dystrophy that presents with muscle weakness manifesting as inability to climb the stairs and difficulty in getting up from sitting position and there is a strong family history as it is an inherited condition.

Your son's CK levels are just very slightly raised so there is nothing to be concerned as this slight elevation is considered insignificant.

He has no signs symptoms of MD as in MD Ck levels are 10 to 200 times the normal limit.

There is nothing to be worried at all.

He has no chance of having MD with these labs and symptoms.

I hope this helps

Do let me know if you have any queries.

Thank you

What about Beckers MD? What are the chance of that?

No I don't see any chances because like you said he is strong and athletic and there is no family history of MD.

So there seems to be no possibility of any muscular dystrophy.

I pray that your right. We go into testing for this on Friday at 11:30. My wife and I are completely destroyed upon being recommended to the MDA. They told us at MDA that anything over 217 they consider high. My son is just barely beginning puberty so I believe that we should go with the 400 #. I'm just trying to prepare myself just in case. Thank you for giving me hope. I really needed it today. My soul has been completely crushed at the mere thought of this diagnosis.

I'm quite hopeful that his tests would be normal.My prayers are with you.

Don't stress and hope for the best

It's a pleasure to consult you

Please do leave a positive 5 star rating by clicking on the stars on top left of this thread.You can ask any follow up questions even after rating this positively.

All the best.

Thank you

Regards

Please don't forget to rate this as we experts are only credited after your positive ratings.

You are not charged for giving a rating.

Thanks.

Medicaldoctor