Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My son was diagnosed with strep throat last Friday, fever…

Customer Question
Hi , my son...

Hi , my son was diagnosed with strep throat last Friday , fever last until Sunday , he is on amoxicillin since Friday . My question is that I was on amoxicillin for sinusitis all last week until Thursday . Then Friday my husband was diagnosed so should I take a preventive abx since I am traveling this coming Friday via plane ? I have no symptoms but I have a weak immune system ....

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with this? Do you have a cough?

No me personally have no symptoms so far

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I have asthma ( chronic)

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Medical
9/12/2017
Doctor: Dr Chip (M.D.), Doctor replied 9 months ago

Hello I'm Dr Chip

I'd suggest you get a prescription for the Amoxicillin and take it with you on the trip

Then if you start having symptoms you can take it

But it really isn't a good idea to take antibiotics prophylactically in a situation like yours--it can just result in antibiotic resistant bacteria

Please let me know if you need any more information

Dr Chip (M.D.), Doctor