Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I understand Flaxseed is good for reducing cholestrol.

Customer Question
I understand Flaxseed is...

I understand Flaxseed is good for reducing cholestrol. Should I buy ground flaxseed or whole kernel?

Doctor's Assistant: Do you know if your family has a history of heart disease? In general, how would you describe your health lately?

Y'all have me pegged for heart on my father's side and cancer on my mother's side.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

My cholestrol borders ob being a bit high but my husband has been on high blood/cholestrol lowering medication for years.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Medical
9/12/2017
Doctor: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor replied 11 months ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. Actually you can use either but it is much easier to use ground flaxseed, ground flaxseed can be used to lower cholesterol levels and even in that form they would not lose their efficacy in lowering cholesterol. you can start with 2-3 tbsp of ground flaxseeds per day and slowly build it up to a maximum of 6 tbsp a day.

Now at the same time if you want to help lower your cholesterol levels, i would also suggest using OTC omega 3 fatty acids supplements or if you dont want to use supplements then use dietary materials which are rich in omega 3 fatty acids like fish etc. Also using coQ-10 supplements would also help in reducing your cholesterol level and provide support to your heart. Lastly if necessary you can also consider using red yeast rice to reduce the cholesterol level as well.

But to answer your question, you can use ground flaxseed to reduce the cholesterol.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/