Family Physician, Doctor
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years
1304720

I have a 13-year-old son he's in year 7 high school in

Customer Question

Hello I have a 13-year-old son he's in year 7 high school in Australia I've just been informed that he is struggling with reading it appears to be developing into it crashing and I'm extremely concerned about his self esteem and confidence. Apparently the teachers have mentioned that he is also been feeling emotional at school which tends to tell me he's finding extreme pressure to keep up with the education being provided they have referred us to a speech pathologist and pediatrician. He is also put on a lot of weight and that is also it impacting on his self confidence. I'm extremely concerned about his well-being this wonderful child well-mannered who had a laugh that would light up a room is slowly becoming a very sad boy. Like try to approach him many a time to discuss he is health and his happiness because I've noticed and it consistently denies that anything is a problem and that he's going well in school and he's trying really hard however the results that have just recently come through and from parent teacher interviews have revealed that teachers are concerned. I am not sure how to approach this and what I can do. We've organised appointments with the pediatrician however that is not until late November early December in the meantime this child is extremely unhappy
JA: How long have you been dealing with this? Any other symptoms?
Customer: The issue started being addressed in primary school however we were told that he was on the improve but was below average even as a child
JA: Anything else in the child's medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: He has put on a lot of weight his mother and I are divorced and have been since he was 4 months old he has been tested for diabetes of which they were negative there is some concern that possibly his liver may have fatty deposits and that is another reason why the pediatrician has been referred
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 1 month ago.

Hi, this is Dr Phil, here to assist you. I am Board Certified with over 10 years of experience. I will respond with my answer shortly. Thank you.

have you considered counseling?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Are you kidding me with that response! That's not even worth the $5 deposit that I put on there let alone the rest that I have to pay

It was a question.

I was asking if you considered it then we will go from there