Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS MS. Post doctoral fellowship in Sports Medicine. General surgeon and sports medicine specialist
5625079

I had a hemi colectomy about 3months ago, the last week I

Customer Question

Good day I had a hemi colectomy about 3months ago, the last week I suddenly gain weight about 4 KG in just two days. I have tests for Iron deficiency and my iron was shockingly low, we are waiting for more results, the reason we test for Iron was because I had cravings for mud etc. Could this be the reason for the rapid weight gain, as I don't eat a lot, and only do small meals, altogether we eat very healthy.
JA: What are all the symptoms you're experiencing (e.g. loss of appetite, fever, rash)?
Customer: Not really los of appetite, cravings for stupid things like mud, itching, fatigue, concentration problems, very swollen tummy, itchy anus. But no vomiting only diaree.
JA: How long have you been dealing with this? Does anything in particular seem to make the itch better or worse?
Customer: Nothing help for the itching no allergens nothing I can pinpoint, the itching started before the weight gain. I also suddenly struggle with restless leg syndrome at night. The craving for wet ground started about 2 weeks ago.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: No, except that is my second partial colectomy,
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 1 month ago.

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer, or further information request.

Why was the hemicolectomy done (3 months ago and previous one)?

What is your age and gender?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Female, 57 years, Parts of my colon stopped wor*****, *****'t really know how to explain, it show flat areas on the X-rays, both times the same, the first op was on the left side second time left and right. I have a very long colon.

Thanks for the additional information. I am writing the answer for you and will get back to you in 4-5 minutes. If you get a phone call request, you may ignore it as that is an automated site trigger. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
My only question is, can Iron deficiency cause this rapid weight gain, and the reason for the Iron deficiency

Iron deficiency can cause restless leg syndrome.

Iron deficiency if is associated with anemia can cause sudden weight gain.

You may get the following investigations if not done to ascertain the cause of iron deficiency;

1) Stool for occult blood

2) Peripheral blood film

3) Vitamin B-12

4) Folate

5) Reticulocyte count

6) LDH

7) Thyroid-stimulating hormone

8) Serum creatinine and estimated glomerular filtration rate

9) Serum ferritin

10) Total iron-binding capacity.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Was this information helpful to you? I would be glad to answer any further questions.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please consider a positive 5 star rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

The rating button is on the left upper side of this thread.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl