Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have had 3 weeks of a loud whooshing in my head, it get…

Customer Question
I have had 3...

I have had 3 weeks of a loud whooshing in my head, it get loud and pressured when I exert myself lift push etc?

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with this? Is there anything in particular that makes your head feel worse or better?

Working hard , bending down , no not really.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Medical
9/12/2017
Doctor: Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor replied 11 months ago

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer, or further information request.

I am writing the answer for you and will get back to you in 4-5 minutes. If you get a phone call request, you may ignore it as that is an automated site trigger. Thank you.

Loud whooshing in head is called tinnitus. Tinnitus is not a disease but a symptom of some underlying health problem, usually in the ear, which would need physical examination and investigations to find out the cause.

Following are the common causes;

1) Exposure to persistent loud noise.

2) Ménière's disease.

3) Ear wax

4) Eustachian tube dysfunction

5) Environmental allergy

6) Blood pressure fluctuations

7) Diabetes and thyroid conditions

8) Medications are an extremely common cause of tinnitus

If you are taking any anti-inflammatory analgesics for any kind of pain like toothache, they should be stopped. All aspirin-containing products and nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs should be discontinued. Supplements like vitamin A, vitamin C, cyanocobalamin, and nicotinic acid, with magnesium, zinc, or copper are suppose to help.

Ideally an examination by a physician or ENT specialist should be done for ascertaining the cause and further management. Read the resource on tinnitus;

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/tinnitus/DS00365

Investigations done for the tinnitus are;

1) Audiometric evaluation

2) A complete blood cell count, an autoimmune panel (ANA, sedimentation rate, rheumatoid factor), and thyroid function tests.

3) MRI of the brain and internal auditory canals.

4) MR angiographic scanning; in this a dye is injected and looks at the blood vessels of the brain (as defects in them may be causative for this sound).

Treatment for tinnitus includes correcting identified comorbidities, as well as directly addressing the effects of tinnitus on quality of life. Tinnitus is a chronic condition; goals of treatment are to lessen its impact and any associated disability.

1) supplementation with vitamin A, vitamin C, cyanocobalamin, and nicotinic acid, or with magnesium, zinc, or copper.

2) clonazepam 0.5 mg at bedtime has been suggested. Another suggested medication has been alprazolam.

3) Tinnitus masking; Many people do not notice tinnitus if there is some background noise in the room.

a) may turn an FM radio

b) opt to purchase sound generators (like producing the sound of ocean waves).

c) specific tinnitus-masking devices are also marketed.

4) Tinnitus retraining therapy (TRT) involves retraining the subconscious part of the auditory system to accept the sounds associated with tinnitus as normal, natural sounds rather than annoying sounds. The goal is for the person to become unaware of their tinnitus.

5) Biofeedback and stress reduction - Biofeedback is a relaxation technique that teaches a person to control certain body functions, such as heart and breathing rate. Biofeedback may help to manage tinnitus-related distress by changing their reaction to it. One may experience relief of tinnitus symptoms once they are able to stop thinking of their tinnitus as bothersome or stressful.

6) Herbal remedies - Combinations of herbs (also called botanicals) Ginkgo biloba and melatonin are suppose to be slightly beneficial in treating tinnitus.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Was this information helpful to you? I would be glad to answer any further questions.

It is privilege assisting you. Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.Please consider a positive 5 star rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating. The rating button is on the left upper side of this thread.Thank you.Wishing you all the very best in life.http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl