Dr Subbanna MD
Dr Subbanna MD, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  American Board Certified Neurologist, Internal Medicine
56178413

I HAVE A 4 YEAR OLD GRANDSON WHO HAS BEGIN TRIPPING AND

Customer Question

I HAVE A 4 YEAR OLD GRANDSON WHO HAS BEGIN TRIPPING AND FALLING AND TALKS ABOUT PAIN IN HIS LEGS,DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEAS OF WHAT IT COULD BE,WE THINK IT IS MUSCULAR DYSTROPHY.
JA: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? Any redness or swelling in the leg?
Customer: NO SWELLING OR REDNESS. WHEN HE PLAYS PRETTY HARD IT IS WORDE
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: WHEN HE WAS A BABY HE HAD TROUBLE KEEPING HIS BREAST MILK DOWN SO WENT TO BABY FORMULAR AND HE HAD TO GET GLASSES THAT ARE VERY THICK AND HE WAS VERY SMALL AND VERY LATE POTTY TRAING
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Subbanna MD replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I am an American Board Certified Neurologist with vast experience in diagnosing & treating all neurological as well as all other health/medical conditions including child neurological conditions, and I am very glad to help you with your health concerns related to your grandson.

I am sorry to hear about your grandson’s health symptoms. As a neurologist I frequently diagnose & treat this type of health situation and I can certainly help you in this regard.

I am currently preparing & typing my answer and I will post my answer here as soon as it is ready.

Best Regards!

Dr Subbanna MD

I am almost done with my typing I will follow up with you very soon.

Best Regards!

Please see the types of symptoms your grandson is having, in the form of tripping and falling, and pain in the legs etc appear due to a neurological condition

Most likely this is a neuromuscular condition that is affecting the nerve and/or muscles

Muscular dystrophy is one of the possibilities too, because there are certain muscular dystrophy conditions that can start manifesting like this around this age, and in the legs with these type of symptoms, as you have mentioned above

Muscular dystrophies are genetically mediated conditions, if there is a family history of similar illnesses then it further raises suspicion for muscular dystrophy in his case, but a family history may not be available always.

This needs to be further evaluated and investigated to find out the precise cause for his health symptoms, especially focusing on conditions like neuromuscular diseases/muscular dystrophies etc. In this regard, if not already done you guys please see a neurologist in the clinic so that he will receive a thorough neurological examination, followed by certain relevant neurological investigations too - that may include one or more of the following;

Certain specific blood tests especially looking for the muscle enzymes like CPK, Aldolase etc

EMG/Nerve conduction study – which is a nerve & muscle test

Later if required a muscle biopsy and genetic tests etc too may need to be considered

In some cases an MRI scan of the brain & spine/spinal cord, a spinal tap (also called as LP or Lumbar Puncture) for testing the CSF (Cerebrospinal fluid) too may be necessary

The above systematic approach can help in identifying the precise cause for his symptoms and then treated appropriately depending upon the test results.

In the meantime he will require aggressive physical therapy to help in improving his muscle strength & improving with walking, and also pain management to help with the pain in the legs.

Wishing your grandson a quick & complete recovery!

All the very best!

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or if you want to discuss this further.

Assuring you the best services!

Best Regards!

Dr Subbanna MD

Hi, Do you have any additional questions? Do you want to discuss about your grandson’s health situation further? Please let me know and I am available here.

Assuring you the best services!

Best Regards!