Family Physician, Doctor
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years
1304720

I have had sleep apnea FOREVER. i take ambien, but what is a

Customer Question

I have had sleep apnea FOREVER. i take ambien, but what is a good health food substitute? I have probably tried all the the herbs, flowers, teas, exercises in the world. My goal is for 6 sound hours a night. My house is quiet and my neighborhood is quiet, I am 78 years old, My daughter is healthy, 55 and single. My father told me that my mother beat me ONCE as a baby fir bit going to sleep, Both of my parents did shift work and ore than half the time made me stay awake to listen for the others until they got home,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,similar situations the rest of my life. Thank you
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: Yes. Over the years. Many. Ambien is my "jewel" so to speak, I have been taking it for 15 years. HOWEVER, It is limited to 30 per month, And sometimes, I am ready for bed, teeth brushed, etc. and taken my ambien and DARN -- someone knocks on on the door ,,, or the telephone rings, lightening and windstorm comes up, or I forgot to take out the garbage -- and PING my chance is over. Please, please know that I have taken Advil PM Tylenol P,M, every other "PM" and all the OTC sleep aids out there. I have tried Lunesta and others like it. I watch Dr. Oz. faithfully -- NO blue lights, i.e. computer, t.v. phones, etc. Sleep wind-down routine, hot baths, No caffeine. I have every health book , listen to the tapes (relaxation/meditation) especially made for sleeping. I put lavender oil on my neck and pajamas. . Foods, such as turkey, hot milk,etc. I promise you I am well-educated on diet, dark room, 68 degree or less. I am not married, but I am content and like it that way,
JA: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?
Customer: I take one avapro in the am for blood pressure - which is managed very well. No allergies
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I had 4 c-sections, a wandering husband, a whole life of tears. Finally in my mid-forties, I was divorced. After being sheltered as a child, and "putting on a happy face" for the world to see, I finally saw the 250,000 a year wasn't nearly as important than being independent. So, I went to Business School later retired from a supervisory position with the State of Utah. I have traveled half the world. I don't understand this format. Did you get the lengthy description? At age 34, I had a lump removed from my thyroid - the dr said it was about the size of a jack ball. I had stage 4 breast cancer when I was 70. Chemo was nearly 15 months!
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Mo replied 1 month ago.

Hi, Dr. Mo here with JA. Please let me review the information and I'll reply shortly.

Expert:  Dr. Mo replied 1 month ago.

Do you not feel rested right now when you wake up in the morning?

Also, when is the last time you took ambien?

Expert:  Dr. Mo replied 1 month ago.

Did you still need help with this problem?