Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

What is ANKA, a form of autoimmune disorder? my

Customer Question
What is ANKA, a...

What is ANKA, a form of autoimmune disorder?

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

My daughter-in-law had been diagnosed with lupus nephritis, with ANKA

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

She has begun treatment but I don't know more details at this point. I am a retired MD and would like to get recent info re treatment and prognosis before I speak to my son or his wife

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Medical
9/12/2017
Doctor: Doctor John MD, Board Certified MD replied 11 months ago
Doctor John MD
Doctor John MD, Board Certified MD

This is Dr. John and I will be helping you today.

I will be reviewing your question and will respond shortly.

I may need to ask a few more questions in order to best serve you.

Thank you for your patience.

Answers here are for education and information only.

Sorry to hear that you daughter-in-law was diagnosed with lupus nephritis. Since you're a retired MD, the eMedicine site on Medscape should be helpful as far as outlining diagnosis and treatment options. The articles are kept up to date with latest research and treatment guidelines.

Lupus nephritis at eMedicine

treatment options have come a long way in just the last 10-15 years with the advent of newer immunosuppressant drugs like rituxumab and others. Her renal function will obviously be a big factor in determining prognosis and treatment, but right now 5 and 10 year survivability are about 85% and 75% as per the references in the article

Does this information help?

thank you, I'll follow-up on your recommendations

as far as the question about ANKA, do you mean ANCA instead, which is antineutrophil cytoplasmic antibodies? ANCA

you're welcome. let me know if you need other references or resources, but I find the eMedicine site to be very thorough.

Glad that I could help.

Please rate the answer with 5-stars, by clicking the 5-stars above with your mouse (or with your finger for a mobile device).

It will be very generous of you to also consider a bonus.

Thank you!