Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I had an asthma attack 10 days ago and i got put on a

Customer Question
I had an asthma...

I had an asthma attack 10 days ago and i got put on a regiment of antihistamines and montelukast 10 mg and qvar inhaler 40 mg to relive my wheezing (which has gone down) and my shortness of breath. my shortness of breath however has not gotten any better. i have tries buying vapor rub and i have to use my ventolin inhalor every day at least twice in case of emergencies. what ami doing wrong? or what should i do?

Doctor's Assistant: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?

Antihistamines and montelukast 10 mg and qvar inhaler 40 mg

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Im asthmatic from birth, i do have allergies which ay have contributed to original attack but i have cleaned my room of all dust and hair and havnt been exposed to any triggers in the past 10 days

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Medical
9/12/2017
Doctor: Dr Chip (M.D.), Doctor replied 8 months ago

Hello I'm Dr Chip

Did you get a chest x-ray?

And what exactly do you mean by shortness of breath?

hi, no i did not.
it was just a basic asthma attack.
like i walk or talk for a particular amount of time and i need a second to catch my breath

And how long does it take to catch your breath?

about 30 seconds

OK

That sounds like a case of viral or bacterial bronchitis that's been complicate by your asthma

For now you can try oral probiotics and Mucinex but if that doesn't clear this in a couple of days you need a chest x-ray and you may need a course of oral antibiotics

Please let me know if you need any more information

Dr Chip (M.D.), Doctor