Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I am having a biopsy in two weeks as my prostate measurement…

Customer Question
I am having a...

I am having a biopsy in two weeks as my prostate measurement is in the low 90's. I am a male, age 80. My doctor is out of town until the procedure. In the meantime I now have pain when I try and urinate. Eventually I am able to urinate but not without pain. Is there some kind of medication I can take to help alleviate the pain?

Doctor's Assistant: Are you keeping a personal medical record while dealing with this?

No, this just started a few days ago

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

No, other than I have had A-Fib for a few years but am treating it successfully.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Medical
9/12/2017
Doctor: Medicaldoctor, Doctor replied 11 months ago
Medicaldoctor

Hello and welcome to justanswer,I shall be consulting you today.

Yes there are many medications that can relieve this pain.

1-You can simply take ibuprofen 200 mg 3 to 4 times a day for this pain.

2-Alpha blockers such as tamsulosin that relax the prostatic muscles are also helpful in relieving this pain.

Try to avoid coffee,tea and caffeinated beverages as they can also aggravate prostatic pain.

I hope this answers your question.

Please do let me know if you have any questions

Thank you

Regards

If done for now please do leave a positive 5 star rating by clicking on the stars on top left of this thread.You can ask any follow up questions even after rating this positively.

Thank you

Regards