Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

My son had a chest x-ray and was told he had a right side

aeortic arch, Is this serious...
My son had a chest x-ray and was told he had a right side aeortic arch, Is this serious. He is only 24 years old and is now terrified.
JA: How long have you been dealing with the issue? In general, how has your health been lately?
Customer: Health is fine. went for a check up because he is going out of the country for school and complained of his chest popping
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: No other health issues
9/11/2017
Doctor John MD
Doctor John MD, Board Certified MD

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer.com

This is Dr. John and I will be helping you today.

I will be reviewing your question and will respond shortly.

I may need to ask a few more questions in order to best serve you.

Thank you for your patience.

Answers here are for education and information only.

I have a few more questions if that is ok?

I do have a few more questions. is that is ok?

besides the chest popping, he has not had any excessive fatigue or shortness of breath or problems with exercise?

no phone calls
no other problems

good. then the right-sided aortic arch is nothing to worry about

It occurs during fetal development and as the heart and cardiovascular system is growing

should he have an mri

by itself, its not an issue, although some babies are born with other malformations that are evident in the newborn period.

Did his doctor recommend further testing?

They said that maybe they should do another scan but he is leaving to go out of the country in a few days and if it is nothing serious can it wait?

yes, ok to wait if no symptoms such as shortness of breath or problems exercising.

ok thank you

you're welcome and I hope your son enjoys his trip!

Doctor John MD
Doctor John MD, Board Certified MD

Did my response fully answer your question?

If so, I would like to thank you for your question and I hope you found my answer informative and helpful.

Please remember to leave a rating by clicking the series of 5 stars at the top of the screen.

The experts here at JustAnswer only get credit for the answer once you leave a rating for us.

You can also add a bonus if you were extremely happy with our service today.

You can always return and ask follow up questions if needed.

- Dr John.

do you have any further questions? If not, please leave a rating by clicking on the stars at the top of the screen. I can only close out your question once you leave a rating.

Thanks!

-Doc Joh-

Doctor John MD
Doctor John MD
Doctor John MD, Board Certified MD