Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have a friend (for real!) who is visiting from Colorado.

Customer Question
I have a friend...

I have a friend (for real!) who is visiting from Colorado. He is an alcoholic but has been sober for about a year. He fell off the wagon when he was visiting his Aunt who is also an alcoholic. We need to get him dried out but I the first available time I might be able to get him into a detox center is Wednesday. He will have DT's if he stops drinking. Should I allow him to have small doses of alcohol until Wednesday?

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

It is not for me. He is on pain pills (I believe oxycotin) for hip surgeries and he also has a blood clot in his leg. He is supposed to be taking blood thinners, but he forgot them in Colorado (which is the excuse he used to start drinking again)

Doctor's Assistant: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?

Did you see my response?

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Medical
9/11/2017
Doctor: Dr Chip (M.D.), Doctor replied 11 months ago

Hello I'm Dr Chip

Yes, he needs to have some alcohol to prevent the DT withdrawals for now since those can actually be fatal

He doesn't need so much that he gets drunk but at least, say, two or three drinks a day

Please let me know if you need any more information