Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM. Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine
22950887

I am 64 days late. A day after my period was done, I had

Hi, I am 64 days late. A day after my period was done, I had unprotected sex and then a week after my period in July, I spotted for 3 days a light pink. I have had an pelvic and stomach ultra sound done in August and a coposcopy biopsy done in August as well. The Obygn said everything looks normal and my cervix is perfect. I do have PCOS and I have never gone this late without a period. Lately I have been feeling really bloated and stiff in my lower abdomin. I did do a home pregnancy test in August and came up negative. I meet with the OBGYN next week. Is there questions I should be asking. Could I possibly be pregnant? Or is there something else going on with my body?
JA: Are you keeping a personal medical record while dealing with this?
Customer: I am
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: No. Nothing else medically going on.

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. Actually it sounds like that your OB/GYN has ruled out some of the causes for your delayed period when he did the ultrasounds and the pelvic examination, however the presence of PCOS can certainly delay the period for 2 months or even longer in some cases due to it causing hormonal imbalances. That coupled with possible stress or anxiety or even a simple viral infection could be responsible for the delay in your period. A simple blood test to check your hormone levels would be enough to diagnose if this is the case and if so then it can be corrected with medicatoons.

Regarding whether or not this can be a pregnancy, that is unlikely as you did test in august and if there was a pregnancy then it would have shown up back then quite easily. This is why i dont think it is a pregnancy which is delaying your period at all.

One more thing which should be considered is a thyroid abnormality, in women the first sign of a thyroid problem can often be an absence of a period. This can be diagnosed quite easily on the basis of a simple thyroid function test and that would be diagnostic in most cases. At the same time evaluation of the adrenal glands would also be necessary if other causes have been ruled out with the tests i have mentioned above. If that too is ruled out then autoimmune causes would need to be looked into with the help of tests like ANA, ESR and a complete ENA profile which are all blood tests.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/