Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Tested positive for tramadol, but i didnt take any, urine, i…

Customer Question
Tested positive for tramadol...

Tested positive for tramadol, but i didnt take any

Doctor's Assistant: Is there an upcoming drug test scheduled? What kind of samples are being tested?

Urine

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I have ptsd and take neurontin and paxil

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Medical
9/11/2017
Doctor: Doctor John MD, Board Certified MD replied 11 months ago
Doctor John MD
Doctor John MD, Board Certified MD

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer.com

This is Dr. John and I will be helping you today.

I will be reviewing your question and will respond shortly.

I may need to ask a few more questions in order to best serve you.

Thank you for your patience.

Answers here are for education and information only.

you you take any over-the-counter or herbal supplements?

I take a bunch of herbals and vitamins

Ok, thanks for your response.

Some SSRI (antidepressants) can cause a false positive due to the breakdown products of the medication. This means that the test came back positive but you were not on the listed medication that the drug test was positive for.

Does that make sense?

The antidepressant that commonly causes a false-positive for tramadol is venlafaxine (Effexor)

You can check with the lab that did the drug test to see if they did a confirmatory test to check that test was done with gas chromography instead of the more common immunoassay tests.

Here's a link to a research article that talks about it here

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16615670

Did my response fully answer your question?

If so, I would like to thank you for your question and I hope you found my answer informative and helpful.

Please remember to leave a rating by clicking the series of 5 stars at the top of the screen.

The experts here at JustAnswer only get credit for the answer once you leave a rating for us.

You can also add a bonus if you were extremely happy with our service today.

You can always return and ask follow up questions if needed.

- Dr John.

I used to take Effexor a long time ago . I had Alieve in a pill container along with neurontin , Zoloft , Effexor and Paxil n may have taken it by accident . I'm having a confirmatory test . Will that differentiate between the 2 medications

it should. so only take the paxil and be sure not to keep any old prescriptions around if you are no longer taking those medicines to prevent any confusion in the future.

does that help?

do you have any further questions?

If not, I would like to thank you for your question and I hope you found my answer informative and helpful.

- Dr John.

do you have any further questions?

If not, please leave a rating for this question so I can close it out, thanks!