Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I am 72 years of age, In the last four months I have had a…

Customer Question
I am 72 years...

I am 72 years of age, In the last four months I have had a persistent cough. I have been diagnosed as a person with chronic sinusitus. I had a sinus operation in 2009. After that the incidents of sinus infection was much less. In the last four months this sinus/cough problem has resulted in an infection twice. Anti-biotics (clarithromycn and prednisone) stopped it, However, within a week or so I felt mucus in my throat and started sneezing and coughing again. My doctor thinks this might be an alergy. I need to search out possible test and other ideas as to what might be causing this condition. I have never smoked and I was of good health prior to this condition.

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with the cough? Are you having any other symptoms?

As I said about four months, since the beginning of June, other than a head ache none.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I tend to cough after dinner within about two hours I usually have some form of coughing attack. I have been trying to monitor this to get more specific details, it is variable. Breakfast an lunch don't seem to result in the same symptoms. I do cough now sparodically throught the day.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Medical
9/11/2017
Doctor: Dr.Anil, Doctor replied 11 months ago
Dr.Anil
Dr.Anil, Doctor

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you. I am a board certified consultant with over 30 years of experience.
Please provide more information regarding your question so I can help you in detail.

Associated constant throat irritation and clearing?

Heartburn,nausea?

Any medical history?

Are you taking any medications?

History like Hypertension,etc?

Fever?

Stuffy nose,clogged ears?

Any investigations done so far?

Thanks.

Waiting for your response.

No heart burn or nausea. No fever, hypertension, nose is stuffy at times but not clogged, ears okay. I will have a blood count tomorrow. I am taking antihistamines. I am also trying to go 100% free of glutegen for two weeks. I have a lot of nasal drip, at times when I am having a coughing and sneezing attack a lot of clear frothy white fluid comes out. These attacks can last from a few minutes to almost an hour. Once I start coughing up brown or green mucus I go on the anti-biotics and prednisone. This clears it all up, but as I have said within two weeks I start coughing or sneezing and then the cycle repeats or at least so far twice.

Thanks for all these additional information.

I understand your concern.

Well as you describe,possible causes may include post nasal drip,Laryngopharyngeal acid reflux.

You should try nasal irrigation,steam inhalation and saline gargles.

Also take OTC Prilosec empty stomach and Zantac 150 mg after meals at bed time.

You should use a humidifier in your room.

You should do oral betadine rinse.

Nasal saline spray and OTC Nasonex nasal spray can be tried.

You should elevate your head while lying down.

You should eat a bland diet.

Avoid spicy,fried,greasy food,carbonated beverages.

You should hydrate yourself with plenty of fluids,green tea.

You should start a multivitamin supplement to boost your immunity.

You should undergo sputum culture,laryngoscopy and see an ENT specialist for further evaluation and management.

Let me know if you have any further query so we can discuss it thoroughly in every aspect.

Please use the REPLY/SEND BUTTON to reply back to me. It’s request to avoid poor/bad rating.

Please provide a positive rating by clicking on 5 stars.

It’s my pleasure to continue this conversation until you satisfy.

Waiting for your response.

Thanks.