Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Thank you. I have been waking up exhausted for months and

Customer Question

thank you. I have been waking up exhausted for months and blood tests show Hello,What is Red Cell Macrocytosis : recommend Haematinic profile (iron/B12/Folate). What does this mean and what is it ? thank you ***** *****
JA: Is this a time sensitive issue? What type of specimen are they testing?
Customer: H>b, RCC, Hat, MCV, Plats, WCC, Neuts, Monos, Eos & Bason.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I was taking duo dart for enlarged prostate. stopped and still also taking Nexium 40mg/dailing for reflux. Now diagnosed with Prostatic AdenoCarcinoma, Gleenson scare 8, in one of 12 biopsies in left mid inner. Hope this helps
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 month ago.

Hello from JustAnswer. This is Dr. Love.

Red cell maxcrocytosis means that the red blood cells are larger than normal. Macro = large, cyto = cells.

Large red blood cells are frequently due to a deficiency in vitamin B12 or folate, which is why it is recommended that these levels be checked in a Haematinic profile. These nutritional deficiencies also can contribute to anemia and feeling exhausted.

There are many other possible causes of red cell macrocytosis, including a response to moderate to high alcohol ingestion, liver disease, thyroid disease, or COPD. There are also certain chemotherapy drugs that can cause enlargement of red blood cells.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.

Please let me know if I can provide any further assistance.